[csaa-forum] Call for Submissions - Trans-Tasman Community Psychology Conference

Robbie Busch robbie.busch at nd.edu.au
Wed May 7 17:09:11 CST 2014

Attention Listserv Members,

We are delighted to announce the call for Submissions for the forthcoming Conference. We are planning an exciting programme designed to challenge and stimulate delegates. Please see below and the attached announcement to distribute widely through your networks.

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS - DEADLINE EXTENDED
The 13th Trans-Tasman Community Psychology Conference

Back to the Future: Collective Reflexivities for Transformative Change

27th - 29th November 2014
Kurrongkurl Katitjin Edith Cowan University, Bradford Road
Mount Lawley
Perth Western Australia
We invite submissions in the following formats that provoke critical analysis, thought, debate and encourage presenters to employ greater opportunities for conversation in their submissions - do not feel constrained to produce conventional presentations.

*         TOWN HALL MEETING - debate, discussion, & conversation

*         SYMPOSIA  - interconnected themed papers

*         NUTS & BOLTS - how to/practice forum

*         POSTER - maximum size BO (1metre X 1.4 metres portrait orientation)

Submission deadline for abstracts: 30th JUNE 2014

Contact: contact at communitypsych.org<mailto:contact at communitypsych.org>   www.communitypsych.org<http://www.communitypsych.org>

Confirmed key note speakers include Pat Dudgeon, Linda Nikora Victoria Hovane & Ian Parker
REGISTRATIONS NOW OPEN
The focus of the conference is to revisit the critical foundations of community psychology to promote critical reflexivity and identify opportunities for change.  This focus, however, is not limited to community psychology and welcomes critical engagement from a range of disciplines including, but not limited to, psychology, sociology, social work, anthropology, media studies, communications, cultural studies, political science and human geography.  In particular, there is an explicit emphasis on decolonisation to decentre dominant and privileged voices. Rather than providing specific themes, we draw on Tanaka[1] to pose questions that speakers might utilise to stimulate thinking and encourage debate and discussion:

*         Voice:  who has the right/power/opportunity to speak and be heard?  Who is silenced by those who speak? Who speaks without authority, particularly in colonised spaces?

*         Power: how do the multiple manifestations of power and resistance play out in our discipline and the spaces we occupy? Do we examine how power and knowledge are connected?

*         Authenticity: do we understand that we are situated in our own cultural space that includes issues of social, economic, and political power? What boundaries are consciously and unconsciously crossed in our practice and who is silenced by this?

*         Reflexivity: do we as individuals explore our place in society and our role in constituting the taken-for-granted norms that operate? Do we understand that our communities are cultural places and that we contribute to its creation?

*         Reconstitution: are we able to effect change and create environments conducive to self-determination and empowerment?

Dr Robbie Busch
Lecturer, Behavioural Science
School of Arts and Sciences
The University of Notre Dame Australia
19 Mouat St Fremantle, Western Australia 6160
(PO Box 1225 Fremantle WA 6959)
Australia

Ph +61 8 9433 0725
Email: robbie.busch at nd.edu.au<mailto:robbie.busch at nd.edu.au>
Web: http://www.nd.edu.au/

CRICOS Code 01032F
[http://public.nd.edu.au/images/25Years.png]<http://www.nd.edu.au/home>

[1] Tanaka, G. (2002). Higher education's self-reflexive turn: Toward an intercultural theory of student development. The Journal of Higher Education, 73, 263-296.

IMPORTANT: This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you should not disclose, copy, disseminate or otherwise use the information contained in it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete or destroy the document. Confidential and legal privilege are not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you. The University of Notre Dame Australia is not responsible for any changes made to a document other than those made by the University. Before opening or using attachments please check them for viruses and defects. Our liability is limited to re-supplying any affected attachments.