[csaa-forum] Call for Nominations -- The Association for Cultural Studies (ACS) Board

John Grech john.m.grech at um.edu.mt
Wed Jan 25 19:14:06 CST 2012

Hi Gilbert,

I may be interested in nominating for the board,
as a representative of Southern Europe. However,
I am not sure how this can work, and what exactly
are the commitments... Can you please advise, and
whether you think the Association will welcome my
nomination or not.

For your information, I was a member of the
association perviously, having joined circa 2005
or 06 when I gave a paper at the Istanbul
conference. I studied and completed an MA and a
PhD in Cultural studies at UTS between 1988 and
2005.

However, I am probably the only person at my
present University who has a cultural studies
background, and I must say, there is little
practical support to develop a real cultural
studies programme here. However, I am and have
been working at this for some years now - ever
since I took up the post, and the enthusiasm from
the students - at least - is encouraging....
however, as i said, there is no real
institutional interest at this stage... so from
that perspective, I have very little to offer the
Association. I am happy to say more if you have
specific questions....

regards

John

At 8:01 PM -0600 24/1/12, Gilbert B. Rodman wrote:
>To all ACS members,
>
>The ACS Bylaws (found at http://cultstud.org/index.php?id=6) call for an
>election of the association's Board every four years, and since the
>current Board began its term in 2008, the time has come to elect a new
>Board.
>
>The bylaws state that the Board has one Chair and one Vice-Chair, plus
>regional representatives as follows:
>
>Africa - 3 (one from Southern Africa)
>Asia - 4 (one from Northeast Asia, one from Southeast Asia, and one from
>South Asia)
>Australia and New Zealand - 2
>Europe - 4 (one from Northern Europe, one from Central and Eastern
>Europe, and one from Western and Southern Europe)
>Latin America and the Spanish-speaking Caribbean - 4
>North America and the English- and French-speaking Caribbean - 4
>
>The bylaws make it necessary to hold the election electronically, so
>that the results of the election can be announced at the Crossroads
>conference in July. The first step in the election process is to find
>good and willing candidates. We therefore ask for nominations now! The
>following current Board members have chosen not to stand for
>re-election, and we would like to publicly thank them here for their
>service to the Association for the past four (or, for those Board
>members marked with an asterisk, eight) years:
>
>Melissa Gregg (Organizational Secretary, Australia)*
>Handel Kashope Wright (Africa)*
>Yoshitaka Mouri (Asia)
>Ferda Keskin (Asia)
>Ursula Ganz-Blättler (Europe)*
>Anne Scott Sørensen(Europe)*
>Eduardo Restrepo (Latin America)
>Jody Berland (North America)*
>
>All other current Board members are hereby nominated as candidates to
>the new Board:
>
>Boulou Ebanda de B'beri (Africa)
>Abdulhamied Alromaithy (Asia)
>Stephen Chan (Asia)
>Roman Horak (Europe)
>Eric Maigret (Europe)
>Chantal Cornut-Gentille D'Arcy (Europe)
>Rosario Radakovich (Latin America)
>Pepi Leistyna (North America)
>
>Additionally, Gil Rodman (North America) and Sonjah Stanley Niaah (North
>America), who have been serving as Acting Chair and Acting Vice-Chair
>(respectively) of the Board since 2010, have agreed to stand for
>election as Chair and Vice Chair (again, respectively)
>
>Considering the need to fill all positions, as well as the desire to
>have access to potential substitutes, it is obviously important that
>good representatives are nominated from all regions. We would thus like
>to invite the Association's membership to submit nominations for
>suitable Board members, including the positions of Chair and Vice Chair.
>
>All nominations must be submitted by 29 Feb 2012 via email to
>info at cultstud.org.
>
>Each nomination (including those for current Board members standing for
>re-election) must be accompanied by a brief statement (250-500 words)
> [...]

"Where good men remain silent, so evil will
prevail around the world." Ben Freeth