[csaa-forum] Update on Crossroads

Melissa Gregg melissa.gregg at sydney.edu.au
Wed Jan 25 14:11:50 CST 2012

Dear CSAA listers,

I have been contacted by a number of people about Crossroads in Paris over
the last week, and just wanted to clarify some of the issues that are being
raised about what has appeared to some as a high number of rejections.

(In doing so I will just remind people that even though I am the outgoing
Australia/NZ rep, the ACS board is not involved in this side of the
conference organising - it is always the local hosts that work on the
program.)

After an extensive peer review process, the organisers have now issued an
official statement on the number of submissions, which was over 3,100.

http://www.crossroads2012.org/?q=en/node/87

According to Eric Maigret, conference Chair, "more than 25 people worked on
the selection process, with double peer evaluation, to have about 1100 -
1200 accepted (=33% accepted)".

To put this in context: this is by far the biggest response to a Crossroads
conference in memory - three times bigger than any of the other recent
conferences.

So although it may be disappointing for many who were planning summer in
Paris, this is also a strong sign of the health of the field.

The organisers are working tremendously hard to make this event a success,
and I do hope people can appreciate the difficulty in communicating the
news.

For those coming to Paris, it will assist greatly to have registrations
before the early bird cut-off of March 15; this is the main way that the
assistance for under-represented regions is funded.

With all best wishes,

Melissa

MELISSA GREGG | Senior Lecturer
Gender and Cultural Studies | Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
J406, Quadrangle A14 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9351 3657 | F +61 2 9351 3918 | M +61 408 599 359
E melissa.gregg at sydney.edu.au | W http://sydney.edu.au