[csaa-forum] In praise of editing & HERDC/ERA criteria

Jonathan Stratton J.Stratton at curtin.edu.au
Thu Mar 3 13:59:53 CST 2011

  Hi Gerard,
     Thanks for this.

    But, if I may, can I reiterate my original query.  This concerned edited book collections.  In HERDC and ERA edited collections, that is to say, books edited by one or more people, are not treated as research.  Thus, if any of us has edited, or coedited, a book, that book is not eligible to be counted in HERDC or ERA.  The huge amount of work that goes into editing a collection is lost in the HERDC/ERA research capturing exercise.  However, and this is very important, chapters that a person publishes in an edited collection *do* count.  What this means is that, in terms of official recognition, including government research funding, you would be crazy to edit a collection but, you would be very sensible to agree to publish a chapter in a collection that some crazy person is editing.  Does this make sense?  No.
     Now, many of you may work in unis where you have little to do with your R&D area and where, at the practical level of workload, an edited book is counted as research.  This may not continue.  At Curtin, and possibly at other universities around Australia, R&D has aligned their classification of research with HERDC/ERA.  This is because Curtin is trying to increase its research profile in the government's terms.  This is because this closely relates to university funding.  Thus, at Curtin, you get no acknowledgement from R&D if you edit a book.  However, if you publish a chapter in an edited collection, you are acknowledged for this.  My original question was, how are other universities dealing with this problem?  And, relatedly, how are we, who edit books and publish in edited collections, dealing with this problem?
     My subsidiary point is that there needs to be pressure brought on the people who administrate HERDC/ERA to include edited collections in their description of research.  This, I would suggest, is best done at university level, probably by universities' R&D areas.

with best wishes,
Jon