[csaa-forum] Glocalising sex and gender

Gregory Noble G.Noble at uws.edu.au
Mon Feb 9 19:24:21 CST 2009

The Department of Gender and Cultural Studies at the University of Sydney, together with the CRN's Identities and Communities node, is delighted to announce the upcoming workshop:

Glocalising Sex & Gender: Consumption, Culture, Practice

Thursday 26th - Friday 27th February, Redfern Town Hall, Sydney.

Over the course of two days we invite participants and speakers to bring together their ideas on how contemporary gendered and sexual cultures are produced by local, inter- and trans-national contexts of consumption and production.

The relationship between globalisation, transnationalism, queer theory-politics, and feminist theory-politics, has already been critically established, though often in ways whereby a concern with either queer or feminist perspectives precludes one from the other. This workshop will continue in the vein of transnational study, with a focus on the concrete ways in which glocalised gendered and sexual effects are produced.

Our international participants, including Dr. Ulrika Dahl (Södertörn University, Sweden), who will run a workshop on feminist methodologies, representation, and research within your own community, and Prof. Chengzhou He (Nanjing University, China) who will give a plenary on feminism and the Chinese context, will set up the depth and breadth of research on gender, sex, sexuality in the glocal. Prof. Elspeth Probyn (University of South Australia) will also be offering her thoughts in the closing plenary.

Members of the Gender and Cultural Studies department will be presenting a number of papers and we will be joined by speakers from other areas of Australia and beyond.

If you are interested in participating and wound like to find out more, please contact Sarah at glocalising.sex at usyd.edu.au <mailto:glocalising.sex at usyd.edu.au>  at your earliest possible convenience.

We currently have 4 grants which are to be awarded to students wishing to attend the workshop, but who usually reside outside of the Sydney urban area. We would ask you to please encourage any students who wish to attend to put in an application (500 words, bio & explanation of interests & benefits of attendance) for a grant.

Please email glocalising.sex at usyd.edu.au <mailto:glocalising.sex at usyd.edu.au>  by February 13th 2009 at the latest. Please note this is short notice, so do not hesitate to get in touch and find out more.

Sarah Cefai
Department of Gender and Cultural Studies
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry (SOPHI)
Room H3.04 Level 3
Main Quadrangle A14
University of Sydney, NSW 2006
Australia

Dr Greg Noble
Associate Professor
Centre for Cultural Research
Bldg EM - Parramatta Campus
and
School of Humanities and Languages
Bldg C - Penrith campus

University of Western Sydney
Locked Bag 1797
Penrith South DC, NSW 1797, Australia

Tel  +61 2 9685 9635
Fax +61 2 9685 9610

Co-author of Bin Laden in the Suburbs: Criminalising the Arab Other (Sydney Institute of Criminology, 2004)

"People who include bon mots in their email signatures are singularly lacking in wit and judgement"
Oskar K Wilding