[csaa-forum] Precarious

kiley gaffney k.gaffney at uq.edu.au
Tue Jul 3 15:08:33 CST 2007

Mark and others,

I think we should all be a little wary of the assumption that everyone on
this list is non-indigenous or has not themselves come from a violent and
dispossessed background. Debating which approach seems to be the least
intrusive and precarious means nothing when these basic assumptions are
underlying your whole argument. Some of us are undoubtedly directly affected
by these new governmental measures and not so easily able to distance
ourselves enough to pick it apart so abstractly. I feel sick in the stomach
to think that many of our families escaped persecution somewhere else to
have to now endure watching others endure the same slow descent As I stated
to you privately Mark, to witness my niece feeling distinguished as a
potential bad parent because she is aboriginal is particularly emotional.
Noel Pearson is surely not the only indigenous voice worth listening too. I
for one would like to hear a female voice, someone like aileen
moreton-robinson perhaps?

kiley