[csaa-forum] Howard's New Tampa

l.gunders at uq.edu.au l.gunders at uq.edu.au
Tue Jul 3 10:50:18 CST 2007

Hi all,

I too have listened to the speech and share John Tebbutt's concern.
Having studied the discourses that Howard and his ministers rely on in
relation to (white, mainstream) welfare, I'm inclined to think that
Pearson is being naive in thinking that money taken away from the
parents will be readily handed over to grandparents and other
relatives that do have the children's interests at heart.

The other thing that struck me from listening to the speech was that,
by Pearson's own admission, his family was one that had resilience and
offered encouragement to its children. He seemed to be on much less
certain ground when speaking about the need for dealing with the
legacy of trauma over generations. Many adults who have been given
coping strategies and encouragement while growing up, it seems to me,
grossly underestimate the long-term psychological impact that comes
from not having this advantage, particularly when ongoing poverty is
an issue.

Lisa Gunders
PhD Candidate
University of Queensland

Quoting John Tebbutt:

I've listened to the speech and looked at the article but the more I see about the Pearson solution the more concerned I am about that it (especially his concept of a Family Commission ­ a new moral inquisition).

(For Pearson on the Cape York Institute report including a link to the
report see: http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2007/s1956147.htm)

The role of "left progressives", could be worthwhile to explore
although I'm wary of too much 'privileged' hand wringing. Ironically
(inevitably) arguments about "moral superiority" are couched in moral
terms (the 'children-at-risk' discourse is a classic example: "how can
you talk politics and culture when children are being abused").

In regards to the current intervention first, for me, is the
understanding that the Howard government has not advanced indigenous
rights domestically or internationally. The record is appalling from
Wik to the dismantling public institutions to indigenous development
(replacing ATSIC with ATSIS and rolling indigenous issues into Family
and Community Affairs). At the same time Howard's antipathy to the NT
land rights act is well known.

So in assessing the recent intervention I sit with the cynical (which
it seems includes many of the socially conservative see Melbourne's
Herald-Sun:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22000375-661,00.html).

I think it's legitimate to look at the politics of Pearson's support.
The children-at-risk argument is never innocent even if we agree with
its moral basis. And is this all there is? Pearson's 90% argument
clearly stakes out a populist position while his constant exhortation
to "get real" about issues resonates with Howard's own 'practical
reconciliation'. And Pearson himself makes clear that this is an
opportunity to push his solutions in Qld and NT.

In regards to these solutions I'd make two points:

1.I question practices such as conditionality on state payments to
unemployed, carers, people with disabilities, remote communities. This
is more often than not a regime of punishment (Centrelink's mutual
obligation is a good example). Successful conditionality requires
massive intervention and monitoring. I'm not convinced that it will,
as Pearson has argued, empower indigenous elders.

2.We need to examine how the discourse of 'welfare dependency'
psychologises social conditions. Cases of 'welfare dependency' can be
documented but I doubt the concept can be generalised as a social
condition which, in the end, tends to refuse 'remoteness' and other
place-based conditions as sites of legitimate dwelling.