[csaa-forum] Steve Irwin, RIP

Melissa Gregg m.gregg at uq.edu.au
Fri Sep 15 08:54:28 CST 2006

Dear Cultural Studies academics of Australasia,

Please explain:

Irwin memorial tickets predicted to sell out in minutes

Police expect tickets for Steve Irwin's public memorial service to be
allocated within minutes when they become available this morning at
9am AEST.

Hundreds of people have been queuing throughout the night at Ticketek
outlets in Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast and Australia Zoo in south-
east Queensland.

There is a four-ticket per person limit on the tickets and a head
count by police has confirmed that all of the tickets at Australia
Zoo have now been accounted for.

Five-and-a-half-thousand tickets are being made available for the
public farewell that will be held at the Zoo's Crocoseum next Wednesday.

Jay-Anne Hughes was first in line at Maroochydore's Ticketek office.

"I wanted to guarantee that we would we were able to go on Wednesday
and I was actually supposed to be having a baked dinner at my mum's
house, but I saw it on the news that people had started lining up so
I missed the baked dinner and shot down here and luckily I was here
before anyone," she said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1741527.htm

Interesting, isn't it, that the baked dinner still seems to be the
ultimate sacrifice in our culture (remember when Tom Cruise couldn't
even generate the same noble gesture? How times have changed...)

Sincerely,
M Gregg

Dr. Melissa Gregg
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Centre for Critical and Cultural Studies
and
Lecturer in Media and Cultural Studies
School of English, Media Studies and Art History
University of Queensland 4072
CRICOS provider number: 00025B

ph     61 7 3346 9762
mob  61 4 1116 5706