[csaa-forum] Steve Irwin, RIP

stephen crofts crofts5 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 15 14:14:44 CST 2006

Dear All,

Thanks to Mel for your call for some analysis of responses to the death of
Steve Irwin.  Maybe I could just suggest a few thoughts that may encourage
discussion?  These might be under the rubric:  “Unhappy the land that needs
heroes” (Brecht).

Peter Beattie offered a state funeral, which the Irwin family declined.  The
man who has displaced the Governor-General in photo ops with Australian
human success stories, John Howard, pronounced the nation’s condolences.
Why would politicians be so keen to be associated?

In the longer historical term, I guess the depth of outpouring would draw on
the ongoing Australian myth of man trying to control outback/nature.  Hence
Irwin as a kind of ecologically updated – and real - Crocodile Dundee.

And like Dundee Hogan, Irwin has given Australia fame in the USA.

The mainstream media, including the ABC, clearly have a craze for celebrity.
  And particularly with orgies of mourning for them:  Princess Diana, the
Pope, the King of Tonga, et al.

Do we need heroes more now than, say, a decade ago (aside from the monthly
fluctuations arising from whether Australian sports teams have won or lost
in big international competitions)?  Maybe.  The economy is in decline, as
witness balloning household debt levels.  And there are some signs of a
serious cultural malaise in recent years.

Stephen Crofts,
Researcher,
Centre for Critical & Cultural Studies,
University of Queensland.