[csaa-forum] News + Issues in CS

Fiona Allon F.Allon at uws.edu.au
Thu May 4 12:04:44 CST 2006

Hi Mel,

Apologies for being so late with this, but I thought I should add a couple of things to Mark's suggestions.

Many of the projects which Mark mentions are collaborative research partnership projects based at the Centre for Cultural Research (CCR). A number of these projects will be presented and discussed in an upcoming Special Issue of Cultural Studies Review (12.2), which is due out in September 2006.

The theme of this Special Issue of Cultural Studies Review is 'Cultural Research' and it will explore what is involved in precisely this kind of engaged, collaborative, Industry/Community 'Linkage' work. The Special Issue will present examples of projects from both the CCR and the Department of Cultural Studies at Lingnan University, Hong Kong. The editors of this special issue are: Fiona Allon and Meaghan Morris.

Another important question/issue, which I think would be worth raising in the forums you describe, is how the trend towards collaborative team-based projects affects early career researchers. These researchers frequently work on team-based projects and at the same time must also try and carve out a highly individualised career-path trajectory. I'm sure this is quite complex and at times quite fraught. I think it would be worth putting this question up for discussion.

Best wishes,

Fiona

Dr Fiona Allon
Research Fellow