[csaa-forum] News + Issues in CS

Mark Gibson M.Gibson at murdoch.edu.au
Thu May 4 13:41:39 CST 2006

Just further to this thread, Graeme Turner has pointed out to me that what I
was talking up as a pragmatic turn in Australian cultural studies could
actually be seen as a fair bit older ‹ eg. the work of people like Susan
Dermody and Liz Jacka on film and media studies in the 1980s which was very
much engaged with policy agencies. I¹m sometimes a bit wary of arguments
that Œit¹s always been so¹. I¹m sure there are differences in contexts and
in qualities of engagement which it is useful to reflect on. And there does
seem to be something reasonably specific about Œlinkage logics¹ and the
whole grant regime. Your point, Fiona, about the team-based nature of a lot
of new projects may be part of it. But historical comparisons clearly do
need to be made with caution.

And I take your earlier point too, Mel, about some parallels with things
going on in the States. Yes, Paula Treichler¹s paper at CSAA/UTS on the
medical scholars program at Illinois. Still, from what I could see, there
are important differences there too, particularly in material contexts. It
seemed to be very much driven by Œunattached¹ intellectual interest (which
is not at all to deride it), rather than embeddedness in institutions
outside the university. Graeme¹s view is that the latter just doesn¹t happen
much in the US ‹ not in cultural studies, not in education, not nowhwere.

-- Mg