[csaa-forum] Hi from the new president

Paul Magee paul.magee at canberra.edu.au
Fri Jan 13 11:26:49 CST 2006

Dear Everyone,

May as well start with a bang. We¹ve been hacked. ³Hacked by KavaLye TURKISH
HACKER..! Ermeni Soykirimi Diye Birsey Yoktur.!²  I¹m quoting from the
Bulletin Board of the CSAA web-site where you can read more of KavaLye¹s
tags.

This is an appropriate time to introduce our new web-editor, Laurie Johnson.
Laurie is taking over from Amanda Wise, and I¹d like to take this
opportunity on behalf of the CSAA to thank Amanda for all the work she did
in setting the site up. The rest of the site is working fine by the way.
Laurie and Amanda think we should have the bulletin board unhacked within
the next week or so. The next task will be to update the content, which you
should see happening over the month of February. The other thing to expect
in February will be a formal call, via this list, for expressions of
interest by institutions wishing to hold the 2007 annual conference.

I¹d also like to say thanks to the departing members of the old CSAA
executive, for all their work over the last few years: Ian Buchanan, our
past President, Secretary Sue Luckman, Treasurer Warwick Mules, Postgraduate
Representative Jean Burgess, and New Zealand / Aotearoa Representative Brett
Nicholls. I¹d like to add a special personal thanks to Sue for all her huge
help over the recent handover.

The executive are now:

President: Paul Magee   ­ paul.magee at canberra.edu.au
Vice-President: Mark Gibson     ­ mgibson at central.murdoch.edu.au
Secretary: Belinda Morrissey    - Belinda.Morrissey at canberra.edu.au
Treasurer: Kristen Davis     - kristen.davis at anu.edu.au
Web-site Editor: Laurie Johnson     - johnsonl at usq.edu.au
Publicity Officer: Angi Buettner    - A.Buettner at massey.ac.nz
Postgraduate Representative     ­ Glen Fuller - g.fuller at uws.edu.au
Newsletter Editor ­ Greg Noble   - g.noble at uws.edu.au
NSW Representative ­ Katrina Schlunke   - katrina.Schlunke at uts.edu.au
QLD Representative ­ Christy Collis  - c.collis at uq.edu.au
SA Representative ­ Kylie Jarrett   - Kylie.Jarrett at unisa.edu.au
TAS Representative ­ Barbara Baird  - Barbara.Baird at utas.edu.au
VIC Representative ­ Amanda Third   - Amanda.Third at arts.monash.edu.au
WA Representative ­ Mark Gibson     - mgibson at central.murdoch.edu.au
NT Representative ­ Tess Lea - (email to be supplied)
New Zealand / Aotearoa Representative ­ Wendy Parkin - (email to be
supplied)

I won¹t say much about policy directions yet, as the year is only just
creaking into motion ­ Happy new year! ­ and the new executive are yet to
meet. Please feel free, in the meantime and throughout the year, to contact
your regional representative, or any other officer, with any issues you
would like to see tabled and tackled by the organisation.

So there¹s nothing to report yet on policy developments. Just personally
though, and right from the start of my tenure as president, I¹d like to
express my commitment to maintaining Cultural Studies¹ status as the cutting
edge of humanities scholarship. We do the real work. I stumbled into
Cultural Studies by way of History and Philosophy, and what initially
attracted me to the discipline was the way so many academics around me kept
referring to it Œtrivial.¹ If it¹s so trivial, I thought, why do you keep
talking about it so much? To the contrary, I think that we in Cultural
Studies look at the things that really count, right now, all around us,
those things that demand attention the moment you ignore preordained
categories of seriousness and triviality. It¹s hardly surprising that people
find that disturbing. After all, it does disturb things.

In other words, maybe we have a bit more in common with KavaLye the TURKISH
HACKER..! than might at first appear. So I¹ll conclude with a phrase from
him,

Ermeni Soykirimi Diye Birsey Yoktur.!

ciao
Dr. Paul Magee
Lecturer
School of Creative Communication
University of Canberra
ACT 2601

Australian Government Higher Education (CRICOS)
Registered Provider number: #00212K