[csaa-forum] Cultural Typhoon, Japan July 1-2

Melissa Gregg m.gregg at uq.edu.au
Thu Jan 12 17:19:32 CST 2006

More details and history of Cultural Typhoon available at the website:
http://www.mode-prj.org/ct2006/2006-index.htm

"Based on the 3 years of experience, we have now decided to move from
university campuses out to the streets of Shimokitazawa in Tokyo.
Shimokitazawa has become the most culturally active area in Tokyo,
where the youth have formed grassroots cultural activities embedded in
its maze-like streets, ranging from food, fashion, music to theatrical
performances. At the same time, the cultural scene in Shimokitazawa is
under attack as a massive road construction is underway. As a result, a
unique protest movement linked to the local culture has been formed.
This summer's "Cultural Typhoon in Shimokitazawa" will be following the
process and relationship of such cultural and political interactions.
By doing so, we, as cultural studies scholars, attempt to challenge and
question the cultural and political relationship in the rising
contemporary neo-liberal milieu.

Cultural Typhoon in Shimokitazawa will not only be a space for research
presentations and discussion, but also be a space for book exhibitions
and sales, performances and art exhibitions by artists, film screenings
and all-night visual events, and a walking tour to better understand
the local streets. One of the most important goals for Cultural Typhoon
is to connect the cultural scenes and movements of the streets of
Shimokitazawa to the academic presentations and discussions in the
symposium. We hope that the few days of Cultural Typhoon in
Shimokitazawa will be able to let us contemplate about the
relationships between politics, culture and city."

Deadline for Submission
1st Deadline - End of February, 2006
2nd Deadline - End of March, 2006

Submission Languages
English (mandatory), Japanese

Sessions Organization
1 day : 4 Sessions
1 Session : 4 Panels
2 days x 4 Sessions x 4 Panels = 32 Panels

Dr. Melissa Gregg
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Centre for Critical and Cultural Studies
and
Lecturer in Media and Cultural Studies
School of English, Media Studies and Art History
University of Queensland 4072
CRICOS provider number: 00025B

ph     61 7 3346 9762
mob  61 4 1116 5706