[csaa-forum] Feminism and Cosmetic Surgery Symposium

Meredith Jones meredith.jones at uws.edu.au
Mon Nov 14 12:20:35 CST 2005

Invitation to Attend, and Call for Papers

A symposium to be held on Friday, 24 February 2006
Centre for Cultural Research, Parramatta

Special Guest Speaker
Cressida J. Heyes, Canada Research Chair in Philosophy of Gender and Sexuality, University of Alberta.
Author of Line Drawings: Defining Women Through Feminist Practice (Cornell University Press, 2000), and a forthcoming book from Oxford University Press which examines the functioning of normalization and the ethics of bodily transformation in the contexts of transsexuality, dieting, and cosmetic surgery.

"Forty is the new thirty, sixty is the new fifty.
We'll lift your breasts to make you more feminine".

Cosmetic surgery is on the rise.  No longer represented as a practice for the rich, vain, frivolous or narcissistic, according to popular media it is now what we "deserve" in order to be our "true selves".  Feminists have always had something to say about cosmetic surgery, which is vastly more popular among women, and clearly reflects and perpetuates traditional cultural views of the normative female body along with creating new repressive "norms".  Yet as practices of cosmetic surgery have multiplied and diversified, so must feminist approaches to understanding it.  This symposium aims to bring together papers that view cosmetic surgery through varied feminist lenses.  Presentations may consider cosmetic surgery in light of: ethics; ethnicity; class politics; aging; choice and agency; health care systems and medical practices; surgeons; makeover television; transsexual or intersex issues; art; body modification; beauty pageants; celebrity; tourism.  Work from scholars across academic disciplines and theoretical approaches is most welcome.

Please send abstracts of no more than 200 words for twenty-minute papers to meredith.jones at uws.edu.au by Monday 12 December, 2005.

RSVP (essential for catering purposes) and Contact : Meredith Jones, meredith.jones at uws.edu.au

Meredith Jones
Centre for Cultural Research www.uws.edu.au/ccr
University of Western Sydney
Locked Bag 1797 Penrith South DC NSW 1797 Australia
tel 61 2 9685 9600
fax 61 2 9685 9610
mob 0438 869 364