[csaa-forum] compliments as an economy

Terry Flew t.flew at qut.edu.au
Tue Jun 7 18:49:40 CST 2005

Mel

Try John Frow, 'Gift and Commodity', in Time and Commodity Culture.

Cheers
Terry

At 06:01 PM 7/06/2005, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I'm currently writing an article for the SMH that imagines the practice of
>complimenting people as a kind of economy of goodwill. It's a two-way
>exchange in which people recognise and trade desires and expectations; and
>how people respond to compliments reveals their perception of the relative
>social positions of the complimenter and recipient.
>
>I am wondering whether any Australian academics have written on this or
>similar topics, and/or if anyone is interested in being quoted for this
>article.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Mel Campbell
>
>Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

Dr. Terry Flew
Senior Lecturer and Discipline Head, Media and Communication
Course Co-ordinator, Creative Industries postgraduate coursework degree program
Reviews Editor, Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural Studies
Treasurer; Australia and New Zealand Communications Association

Creative Industries Faculty
Queensland University of Technology

GPO Box 2434
Brisbane Queensland 4001

Location: The Hub Z6-510 Kelvin Grove Urban Village
Phone: 61-07-3864 8188
Fax: 61-07-3864 8195
Mobile: 0405 070 980
Email: t.flew at qut.edu.au
Research profile:
http://www.creativeindustries.qut.com/people/staff/next.jsp?userid=flew&secid=Introduction

CRICOS No: 00213J

IMPORTANT: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain private or
confidential information. If you think you may not be the intended
recipient, or if you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the
sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not reproduce any part of this e-mail or
disclose its contents to any other party. Please do not forward this email
- or sections of its content without checking with the sender in advance.
Thank you.