[csaa-forum] compliments as an economy

Mel Campbell incrediblemelk at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 7 17:31:25 CST 2005

Hello all,

I'm currently writing an article for the SMH that imagines the practice of complimenting people as a kind of economy of goodwill. It's a two-way exchange in which people recognise and trade desires and expectations; and how people respond to compliments reveals their perception of the relative social positions of the complimenter and recipient.

I am wondering whether any Australian academics have written on this or similar topics, and/or if anyone is interested in being quoted for this article.

Cheers,

Mel Campbell