[csaa-forum] CHASS media release

Toss Gascoigne director at chass.org.au
Sun May 1 12:31:31 CST 2005

Dear csaa-forum

Below is a media release from CHASS, issued at 1 pm on Sunday.

Regards

Toss Gascoigne

WHERE'S ASIA?
TIME TO RE-VISIT THE NATIONAL RESEARCH PRIORITIES

It is time to look again at Australia's national research priorities,
according to Professor Malcolm Gillies, President of CHASS (the Council for
the Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences).

The Priorities nominate four key areas where Australian researchers should
concentrate their efforts. Research funds are channelled into these areas.

"There is a danger that research may be skewed in a way detrimental to
Australian interests," Professor Gillies said.

'Asia' is not mentioned as a priority concern, although it is the region of
Australia's most intense diplomacy, defence, aid, health and educational
engagement.

"If Australia is to operate successfully in Asia, we need to put special
efforts into understanding our neighbours and trading partners."

This means working harder to build research-based capacity in Asian
languages, cultures and religions, and a knowledge of regional industry
policies and practices.

"It is important that our own culture and heritage be included in
discussions about revising national research priorities," Professor Gillies
said.

"We need to build an independent Australian capability so that we can
respond, in our national interest, to the challenges and opportunities that
come our way.

He said the Government established a National Research Priority (NRP)
Standing Committee last February to conduct periodic reviews of the
priorities.

CHASS hopes the Committee will consult widely before making recommendations.
Eight of its nine members have science or technological backgrounds, with
just one member from the humanities, arts and social sciences.

"People from the humanities, arts and social sciences are aware of their
responsibilities to contribute to debates on these matters, and would
welcome the opportunity to be more involved," Professor Gillies said.

The National Research Priorities are available at:
http://www.dest.gov.au/sectors/research_sector/policies_issues_reviews/key_i
ssues/national_research_priorities/default.htm

For information:  Toss Gascoigne 0408 704 442

********
Toss Gascoigne
Executive Director
Council for the Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (CHASS)
28 Balmain Cres, ANU, ACT

Postal address
PO Box 8157, ANU, ACT AUSTRALIA 2601

Ph: 02 6249 1995 OR 02 6230 7179