[csaa-forum] Media bits

Melissa Butcher melissa at riap.usyd.edu.au
Fri Apr 29 16:20:54 CST 2005

For those that collect interesting bits of media naughtiness, a journo
wrote a story on a talk I gave last night for AAP.

The headline from AAP:
AUSTRALIAN EXPATS BATTLE TO BRIDGE ASIAN CULTURAL DIVIDE: STUDY
(Story complete with misquotes and no context and he left before the end
- his explanation being he only wanted the most 'newsworthy' aspects and
that it was okay to paraphrase me using words I didn't use because he
didn't put inverted commas around them).

The story was picked up the SMH this morning on the internet and the
headline:
'AUSTRALIAN EXPAT WORKERS IMMATURE: STUDY'

Sigh! I don't think my research participants will ever speak to me
again. If anyone has any similar examples tho I'd love to start
collecting them.

Cheers
melissa

_______________________

Melissa Butcher
Research Institute for Asia and the Pacific
Level 2 G12, 353 Abercrombie Street
The University of Sydney
Australia NSW 2002
Tel: +612 9351 8540/8547
Fax: +612 9351 8562
Email: melissa.butcher at riap.usyd.edu.au
Web: www.riap.usyd.edu.au

"Have patience with everything unresolved and try to love the questions
themselves" (Rainer Maria Rilke)
IMPORTANT
The contents of this E-mail message, and any documents attached to it,
may be privileged and confidential. Any unauthorized use is strictly
prohibited.

If you receive this electronic mail in error, please accept my apologies
and delete it. Thank you. Email is a document as defined by the NSW
Freedom
of Information Act Sect.6 (1)