[csaa-forum] Re: csaa-forum Digest, Vol 12, Issue 2

Christian McCrea saccharinmetric at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 19:31:09 CST 2005

> Forget about Jonathan's and my qualifications, or possible lack
> thereof, to set the terms of debate. Forget about who "we" is meant to
> be. Is there *anyone* for whom "prejudicial, over-the-top, and focussed
> on the man and not the ball" is a proper argumentative style, and one
> that genuinely contributes to other people's understanding of the
> world? Who do you expect to take that kind of prejudiced discourse
> seriously?

1. Me.
2. The Public Sphere.

(this all comes qualified with our long-standing I-love-you-anyway proviso,
just so you know.)

The drawing of lines in the sand is always going to cause some friction, but
I'm not sure constructive, elevated, systematic debate is what's
required if this
'we' of Cultural Studies (an incorporation that does us both a disservice!) is
attempting to engage with the Australian or K.Wizzle in public debate.

I can't remember when I saw a debate free of aggressive gestures, careerism,
reductionist arguments and zero-sum logical framing - or if I have
ever. I rather
more enjoy (and am more engaged in) any debate where the participants are
aware of their gestures and deploy them anyway. Again, I argue that K.Wizzle
is doing just that, and to participate, a game has to be played.

I know some people have been thinking quite seriously along the lines
of Catherine
Lumby's call to arms a couple of days ago:

"I think cultural studies academics would garner more respect, not
less, in the public
arena if we took ourselves a little less seriously at times."

I doubt there's a combination of words in any language I could agree more with.

I am quite concerned that so many are quick to lump a kneejerk reaction with
unacademic behaviour; the hammer hits and the knee jerks - if the
Australian article
in question was anything more substantial than a Boltian ride through
idiot country,
then we'd be engaged in serious debate right now. Instead, we are
nitpicking. The
grain of salt which which we are building steam is that these moments
provide the
critics of cultural studies (let's call them playa-haters) with
ammunition, but I sense
a deep concern with saying any 'we', above an understanding of an open
intellectual discourse designed to create feedback to a public sphere.
In that vein,
I was amused by what Danny said about K.Wizzle and as amused by what you
leapt on Danny for... but right now, there's some taxes to raise and
arts grants to
give out! (sorry, Ben.)

-Christian McCrea