[csaa-forum] Re: csaa-forum Digest, Vol 12, Issue 2

Ben Hourigan mail at benhourigan.com
Sat Apr 2 15:16:12 CST 2005

On 2 Apr 2005, at 15:00, Aren Aizura wrote:

> Who is this "we" of whom you both speak? Who is this "collective"? Who
> are you speaking for, and why do you feel qualified to set the terms
> of this, or any, debate?

Aren,

The "we" that I and Jonathan Marshall speak of may well be just a
reflection of Danny Butt's own use of the word in the post that sparked
this thread, though I was thinking of "we" as Cultural Studies in a
broad sense.

Danny wrote:

> Rather than arguing politely, we must meet Windschuttle in the spirit
> with which he goes about his work: prejudicial, over-the-top, and
> focussed on the man and
> not the ball.

Forget about Jonathan's and my qualifications, or possible lack
thereof, to set the terms of debate. Forget about who "we" is meant to
be. Is there *anyone* for whom "prejudicial, over-the-top, and focussed
on the man and not the ball" is a proper argumentative style, and one
that genuinely contributes to other people's understanding of the
world? Who do you expect to take that kind of prejudiced discourse
seriously?

Ben Hourigan, B.A. (Hons) (Melb.)
mail at benhourigan.com
http://benhourigan.com