[csaa-forum] CFP: Lesbian & Gay Psychology Review Special Issue on 'LGBTI Parenting and Families'

| Damien | damienriggs at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 18 23:23:33 CST 2005

apologies for cross postings

CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS

Special Issue of Lesbian & Gay Psychology Review

'LGBTI parenting and families'

Guest Editor: Damien Riggs

·                    What shapes do queer families take?

·                    What does it mean to be a LGBTI parent?

·                    How do we develop new ways of relating to the children we care for?

·                    Who can be 'a parent'? How does the term limit or make possible our experiences?

·                    What is the relationship between theory and practice in regards to LGBTI parents?

·                    Names, terminology and frameworks: How do we talk about and understand our (queer) families?

·                    Can psychology contribute to our understanding of LGBTI parents and families?

·                    What challenges do LGBTI parents and families present to the discipline (both theory and practice) of psychology?

·                    What if we don't choose family: Are there limits to the concept and its location within heterosexist histories?

·                    How do concepts such as 'understanding family as a verb' resist traditional narratives of families and parenting?

The guest editor invites research and theoretical articles (maximum 6000 words) and short commentaries and 'opinion pieces' (maximum 1500 words), which address these questions, particularly as they pertain to the multiple familial and parenting arrangements that LGBTI individuals are involved in. This may be as parents, as children, as carers, as families of origin, through supportive networks and extended familial relations, through 'biology', through partnership, through choice, through politics. All article submissions will be peer-reviewed and commentaries will be reviewed by the Guest Editor and the Editor of Lesbian & Gay Psychology Review.

The deadline for submissions is 1August 2005. Informal enquires and submissions should be sent to:

Damien Riggs

Department of Psychology
The University of Adelaide

South Australia