[csaa-forum] re: fashion/clothing; re: cult studies and left

Jonathan MARSHALL jonathan.marshall at ecu.edu.au
Mon Jan 17 11:16:11 CST 2005

I cant speak for what our friend Brophy was drawing on. Most of his
essays are published in the Cinesonic papers, and so refs can be looked
up there, or one can try and contact him directly. He's not formally at
RMIT any more, but his music label website is still run off the RMIT web
site (SoundPunch), and so could be tracked down through that.

Specifically though, there is a pretty huge history of material on the
history of fashion, clothing, etc. As a historian, Im less familar with
writings on contemporary fashion, but Id say start with the historic
materials and work up.

Good places to start would be the voluminous History of Private Life, by
Duby and Aries, which deals with Euro-American cultural history,
including fashion and just about everything else under the sun.

Ellias' The Civilising Process, though much contested in its details
since, is still a crucial text in these matters too.

I would also imagine history of the body materials, esp. collected
essays, would be helpful, like some of the Zone Books compilations,

I hope this is helpful,

Jonathan Marshall

Jonathan Marshall, PhD, MA,
Research Fellow,
Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts,
Edith Cowan University,
2 Bradford Street,
Mt Lawley, WA 6050
PH: +618 9370 6796