[csaa-forum] Is cultural studies inherently left-wing?

Fiona Allon F.Allon at uws.edu.au
Mon Jan 17 10:11:34 CST 2005

Dear Terry,

I apologise for taking so long to pad up and make my way to crease, but I’ve  been enjoying the cricket far too much to seriously engage with the emails piling up in the inbox over the break. The tussle between Akhtar and Langer,  the feisty exchange between Kaneria and Clarke, Ponting’s double century and Gilchrist’s 113 off 120 balls (not to mention the streakers!), versus ‘Is Cultural Studies Inherently Left-Wing?’ is not really that much of an even contest is it? Kinda like Australia versus anyone else who plays cricket, actually. But, your point about Cultural Studies not sufficiently addressing the political skills of John Howard and the electoral successes of the Coalition government has finally made me put down my beer and instead take up my position as 13th (wo)man.

The metaphor you’ve started here, Terry, is actually highly appropriate: Howard likes to think of himself, after all, as the nation’s biggest cricket fan. Though as Don Watson has pointed out, despite Howard’s oft-avowed love of the game, he actually shows little indication of really understanding it. But again and again in Howard’s case such small, some would say essential, details just don’t seem to matter in the eyes of the electorate. And in many ways this is a pattern that seems to be continually repeated. It’s also one of the keys to his continuing success: his clever and highly selective appropriation of the symbolic terrain of Australian nationhood, and his ability to tap into popular-nationalist feeling across the spectrum of society, even despite the transparency of the often hollow, empty and tokenistic nature of his gestures.

Although when he was first elected in 1996 many critics were quick to dismiss Howard as a 1950s throwback, and many still seem to be stuck in this kind of analysis, he actually proceeded to fashion a very contemporary politics, which   as you rightly point out, is still being played out today with considerable political acumen. For example, whenever Howard draws on images and myths of the past, it has always been in the service of generating a convincing contemporary rhetoric and a language of cohesion firmly tied to the conditions of the present. This rhetoric, and its use of highly emotive, affective imagery of home, family, and security, successfully cuts across traditional right/left distinctions, as well as middle class/working class experience in a way that unsettles the grid upon which political/cultural analysis has long been based. And as you also mention, Judith Brett’s analysis demonstrates this convincingly, arguing that in order to develop his distinctive brand of retro-nationalism, Howard has actually raided the traditional Labor territory of “vernacular egalitarianism” and the Australian Legend. So, while Howard has been carving out his highly-successful image of the consensual mainstream of Australian society, he has also simultaneously furthered the rifts between the ALP’s working-class traditions, middle-class cosmopolitans, and the new suburbia of McMansions and Hillsong. Similarly, while embracing neo-liberal economic globalisation and radical economic change, he has affirmed the values of conservatism and home and neighbourhood. Above all then, Howard’s politics have to be seen as an exemplary exercise in what Stuart Hall succintly called in the English context, ‘an attempt to capture the future by a determined long detour through the past.’

Perhaps Cultural Studies has not taken “Howardism” seriously enough as a political-intellectual project, and one of the reasons for this, I believe, is the discipline’s traditional allegiance to what you call a pre-existing political power grid (and therefore an inability to negotiate the kinds of complexities outlined above), as well as its predilection for particular kinds of “cultural texts”. I agree that the discipline’s allegiance to both needs to be seriously rethought. But I also feel the need here to mention work that I have been doing for some time, work firmly situated within the discipline of Cultural Studies. I’d also like to mention a couple of other ongoing projects which also seem to address the kinds of questions you’re asking. Hopefully these will point out that we’re not all stuck in the ‘collective clogged artery’ you refer to.

At the 1996 CSAA Conference held in Fremantle (I’ve just enjoyed my second visit to Freo for the last CSAA conference!), I presented a paper on ‘John Howard’s Earlwood’, an analysis of Howard’s speeches, biographies, and political statements and policies. The paper concentrated specifically on the language and rhetoric of ‘home and family’ that Howard used consistently throughout the first year of his government. The paper was well-received, and at the time, as a PhD student slightly nervous about presenting the first stage of serious research, I was merely thankful and relieved. But looking back now, I realise that the success of the paper was due in part to the fact that it was one of the few, if not the only paper at the conference, to explicitly address the current political agenda and the new kinds of political/cultural dynamics ushered in by a Liberal/Coalition government. The paper I presented was based on my PhD thesis (supervised at the time by Liz Jacka), which ended up having two chapters focusing on the political skills/imagery/rhetoric of John Howard. A   version of this research was subsequently published in an issue of Communal/Plural (No. 5/1997) entitled ‘Home, Displacement, Belonging’, and edited by Ien Ang and Michael Symonds.

My research on John Howard and the Liberal Party during this time was most certainly influenced by the important work of scholars such Judith Brett and Carol Johnson. I found the work of Carol in particular very helpful, and I must confess here that I still have her original copy of Howard’s Future Directions package, with its iconic image of ‘mainstream man’ with his white nuclear family and Ford Falcon behind the white picket fence. But seeking to understand phenomena which are, at the very least, simultaneously economic, political and cultural, the thesis moved way beyond what could be seen as ‘straight political analysis’ and drew upon and crossed the discourses of a number of different disciplines. Given my thesis’s multidisciplinarity, and its commitment to analysing the most ‘everyday’ details of Howard’s cosmos, details such as the house he grew up in, his uncle’s garage, the Jaffa incident at the Earlwood cinema, details which Howard himself has combined together into a powerfully persuasive rhetoric of “ordinariness”, I doubt whether there would be any discipline other than Cultural Studies where this research could have been supported. This is also, I believe, why it is so often difficult to publish Cultural Studies work that does try to deal with subjects that have not conventionally been seen (or at least in Australia) as part of the discipline’s traditional ambit, for example, political and economic history. But it was precisely Cultural Studies’ theorisation of power across a number of different, interrelated, scales which my work aimed to reflect. This is also, I think, what is distinctive about Cultural Studies: it is not merely its methodological stance and interdisciplinary foundations (although these are fundamental), but also its way of engaging with the cultural and political world. This form of engagement, though not inherently ‘left’, tends to be, by way of its direct focus on power, automatically concerned with questions such as who gets to speak and who doesn’t, with silences and exclusion, and with opening up a wider, more inclusive, understanding of ‘culture’ and how people live and create it.

But there are others who also have continued to do research in this particular area, and from this kind of perspective. For example, Lindsay Barrett and myself are in the process of putting together a collection of essays titled ‘We Decide! Australian politics in the twenty-first century’, and written by academics working within the area of Cultural Studies. Focusing on contemporary issues of politics, governance and national identity, this collection aims to address, specifically from the disciplinary perspective of Cultural Studies, many of the absences your email points to. It will also hopefully address some of the ALP’s recent woes and problems of direction, currently resulting in some extremely silly suggestions, such as the one by John Button to invite Tony Abbott to ALP branch meetings. Such meetings would more than likely be no more productive than getting Keith Windschuttle to address a bunch of Cultural Studies academics! Surely the ALP needs to work out who it speaks to and for, and why, more than it needs to affirm what it is against. A bit similar to Cultural Studies, really.

But before I draw this to a close and go back to the one-day game (never as good as a Test, and without Warnie’s buffoonery), I ‘d just like to address your demand for ‘something more analytically sound than gestural disdain’ regarding the subject of politics and suburban cultures. Later this year the Centre for Cultural Research will host a symposium called ‘Post-Suburban Sydney’. This forum will address a number of cultural transformations across suburban Sydney, including the changed demographics of a number of electorates (the so-called ‘aspirational’ seats) in western Sydney. I’ll be presenting my own research on ‘Fear and the Family Home’, which will look at the First Home Owners Grant, mortgages and interest rates, home-ownership, and Howard’s campaign of fear and insecurity directed at home-owners at the last election. As you correctly argue, and as the following statement from a resident of Kellyville defending ‘McMansions’ exemplifies remarkably well (Kellyville is one of the suburbs ringing western Sydney, once traditional Labor-voting but now increasingly Liberal, and the home of Hillsong), such changes are as much cultural, as they are political and economic, and they demand sustained research and analysis:

"My wife and I know perfectly well how to brief an architect, but at the moment we'd rather put our resources elsewhere. In the end we must do what is best for our kids, and that's where Kellyville shines ... Sneer through the steaming haze of your decaf soyaccino if you wish, but homogeneity brings a certain comfort, security, and a sense of true community that other Sydneysiders can only dream about. Dare to be similar."