[csaa-forum] RE: wanting to be effluent

Russell Smith Russell.Smith at anu.edu.au
Thu Oct 14 17:15:12 CST 2004

Regarding this (perceived) shift to the right in Australian politics:

1. Although the argument about Howard simply getting back some of the
former ONP and Democrat voters seems pretty convincing in terms of the
numbers, it doesn't address the other issue that the ALP in this campaign
was significantly to the right of its former self (what about their
appalling cooperation with Howard in the ban on gay marriage?).

2. Regarding the role of "aspirational consumerism" in this shift, one of
the most significant factors no-one seems to have mentioned is the
spiralling levels of domestic debt in Australia, particularly among young
people. This applies not just to home mortgages, of course, but credit card
fuelled consumption of mobile phones and cars, as well, of course, as Meat
Loaf albums and fondue sets.

The issue is not so much what people decide to spend their money on (the
sociology of taste isn't really relevant here), but that so many people
(across the income spectrum) are being lured into financially precarious
situations. And financially precarious situations make people more fearful
and likely to vote conservative.

3. I had a shock the other day, re-reading the intro to Frow & Morris's
Australian Cultural Studies Reader (1993). Didn't recognise the place....

Russell
--

Dr Russell Smith
Lecturer in English