[csaa-forum] RE: wanting to be effluent

Ian Stuart istuart at eit.ac.nz
Wed Oct 13 07:10:46 CST 2004

Kia ora Sally

The neo-lineral discourse of the past 20 years, especially in New
Zealand,  has constructed people as "consumers"  rather than citizens.
We became "consumers" of the health system, ratrher than people, we
became "consumers" of the education system, etc etc ...

Is it any wonder that "consumer" has become the prime identity position
of people within our society?

Ian Stuart

>>> Sally.Scott at curtin.edu.au 12/10/2004 6:16:57 p.m. >>>
What a defensive barrage has been creative by allusions to Freedom
Furniture
and fondue. Interestingly, for what it says about the discources of
cultural
studies, I was using the list of aspirational accoutrements as symbols
of
consumerism rather than class. That is, Australians, irrespective of
suburbs, are more interested in what they can buy and when, rather
than
issues like education and health reform, refugees or workplace equity.
Are
we consuming ourselves into an apathetic torpor? What significance does
this
have for both the political process and the future of the Left (as
distinct
from the Labor party)? (I understand my assumption here is that the
Left are
less concerned with a consumer economy)

There is a wonderful doco doing the rounds about the big corporates and
the
many ways in which they are driving consumption - out of this all
power
leads to them. Where is our Left in this packet of Crispies?

Sally

csaa-forum
discussion list of the cultural studies association of australasia

www.csaa.asn.au

csaa-forum
discussion list of the cultural studies association of australasia

www.csaa.asn.au
CAUTION: This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that
is confidential and subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended
recipient,you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying
of this message or data is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify help at eit.ac.nz immediately and delete all material pertaining to
this e-mail. Thank you.