[csaa-forum] Re: The politics of emotion

Brett Neilson b.neilson at uws.edu.au
Tue Oct 12 07:01:57 CST 2004

Hi Danny,

I think the link here is that the crisis of political representation, of
which the election result is one symptom, needs to be understood vis-a-vis
the crisis in linguistic representation, of which the writings of Derrida
are perhaps our most precise barometer. Not that I think that affect (as I
would call it when not writing for a newspaper and which is much more than
emotion) lies outside of textual mediation (or even cognition) in some
realm of pure experience. As a friend commented yesterday, there's a
certain luxuriousness to the philosophy of Derrida that we can no longer
afford. The processes he was tracing seem to have played themselves out
completely and this is something that Howard, Bush (or rather Loughnane,
Rove) and the like seem to have understood better than those of us who feel
strangely orphaned by this death.

Brett