[csaa-forum] Re: csaa-forum Digest, Vol 4, Issue 12

Charles Fairchild charles.fairchild at arts.usyd.edu.au
Wed Aug 11 16:51:41 CST 2004

Hi folks. I just wanted to drop my two cents on the pile regarding the
whole 'having a job but its exhausting but I'm really priviledged and
feeling a bit guilty' discussion. My experience is almost completely
counterintuitive so it may not be worth anything. I'm an American, my
partner is Australian. She got 'the job' here so over here we moved,
last year. I had spent six years working for a foundation in the states
doing writing and curriculum development for poor and disadvantaged
grade school kids. It was ideologically satisfying, but mind dulling and
frustrating; mindless bureaucracy is not confined to public universities
in Australia despite what the Liberal Party tells you. I got the first
academic job I've ever had here well beyond what I thought was my use-by
date. In all, I had spent a total of seven years doing other things. It
just so happened that the job I got described my background, interests
and experience unusually well. Despite this, I think the important thing
for me was that I kept publishing even while I was out there in the
wilderness. Granted, it wasn't much, but I really like writing academic
articles (I know, I have issues...). That might be what got me over the
line. What really struck me about moving to Australia and working here
is how much worse things can be in America; they were certainly very bad
for me for a very long time. However, my partner went to a universally
acknowledged 'elite' university. And in the States this is often the
sole criterion on which your CV is judged, especially in the early
going. Sometimes, a pile of applications of people who went to 'good
schools' (i.e. 'Name' schools) is put on the table for consideration,
everyone else goes in the circular file in part becuase of the massive
glut of Ph.D.'s produced over there and the numbers of unhappy academics
swells the number of job applicants immensely. So the way in which
explicit criterion are applied to appplications in Australia did
surprise me. Also, the idea of a document such as the workloads formula
used to calculate some ideal level of teaching hours each week was
unheard of to me. I know these agreements aren't ironclad to say the
least, but still. I think we need to see what is working, too, even if
its just in theory, despite all the crap the is being shovelled on us
from so many directions at the present time. This way we can argue more
specifically about what works and what doesn't and how to find models of
things we would like to see more of.

Charles Fairchild
Lecturer in Music
University of Sydney