[csaa-forum] Publishing outside the academy

Jon Stratton J.Stratton at curtin.edu.au
Wed Aug 11 16:31:29 CST 2004

  Hi Jackie (and all),
        Good to meet you on line.  Yes, I agree, there's plenty of work, but
no pay, doing seven minute grabs for ABC talk shows and the like.  Jackie's
been working my area of the country a bit recently (Perth) :).  I'm doing a
weekly cs spot on the local ABC afternoon show.  A few weeks ago I did a
piece for ABC Kalbarri and was inundated--yes, really--with local ABC
stations from the NSW north coast to Alice Springs wanting versions of the
same segment.  A couple of days ago I did one for the early morning prog on
ABC Hobart.  One reason I do all this is because, in among the general stuff
(eg 'why do people name inanimate objects?') I can get some good points in
about asylum seekers, racism and similar matters.  As both Kath and Jackie
signal, radio has an insatiable appetite for talent.  Seven minute grabs
mean that the producers are constantly looking for people to talk about
anything that they think their audience will be interested in--and that can
be what's in the day's news or something else entirely.  The thing to
remember, though, is that it's all about communication: no long words, no
quoting famous theorists; ideas presented simply and accessibly.  And it can
get 'interesting.'  One day a while back, after I'd done a piece on one of
the commercials, I found a quite abusive message on my work phone.  The
woman started by teling me that I wouldn't know if my bum was on fire.  Not
an expression I knew so my knowledge of Australian language was broadened!
:))  And the uni likes it, though Curtin doesn't share the way U of SA seems
to!  It also helps keep me sane when I'm drowning in Head of Dept work.
Kath mentioned oped pieces for newapapers.  Newspapers are also very often
on the look-out for people who can be quoted about some topic.  Once you're
known as somebody who can give a pithy response you get a lot of calls.
Again, no money but it doesn't take long and, politically, I reckon that
every little bit has got to help.

cheers,
Jon (Stratton)