[csaa-forum] Rebecca and the beach

Karen Dean k.dean at ballarat.edu.au
Wed Aug 11 20:33:43 CST 2004

While I do confess to an especial glamour, it gets so much worse than
you suspect, my young friend.  Some of us, for example, find ourselves
teaching in a version of _The Joe Schmo Show_: we are the only ones who
don't know it's a joke, and *the joke isn't even funny*.
Love from Karen at the University of Ballarat

_____________________________
Dr Karen Gai Dean
School of Behavioural & Social Sciences & Humanities
University of Ballarat
PO Box 663
Victoria 3353
Australia
k.dean at ballarat.edu.au
ph: 61-3 5327 9627
fax: 61-3 5327 9840
CRICOS Provider Number 00103D
>>> adoptedvietnamese at hotmail.com 08/11/04 5:01 PM >>>
What kind of combat sport is cultural studies?  Wow - and I thought the
academics looked so glamourous rocking up on Critical Mass, jet setting
international conferences, and nice odd jobs sitting on government
boards as
advisors.  Perhaps some of you could consider starting up a reality
program
like The Apprentice - or The Survivor, only call it The Post-Doc.  Each
week, ten post-docs battle it out for tenure.  Tasks could be like who
gets
the most published papers, hosting a workshop on a budget of near zero
and
enduring long hours of lecturing without much sleep...I'd watch it.