[csaa-forum] Publishing outside the academy

Jackie Cook Jackie.Cook at unisa.edu.au
Wed Aug 11 13:21:26 CST 2004

Re the role of broadcasting in developing the Cultural Studies debate AND an
academic career/influence/sense of forward direction, whatever:

Even if the DEETYA recognition doesn't come through, broadcast comment is worth
pursuing.

If you do it, keep it prominent on your CV.

I do roughly 5 radio pieces a week, across Australia but also internationally
sometimes, and TV sometimes... Not because I'm the world expert, but because
I'm on the talk producer's circuit... And my University loves it: gave me the
Chancellor's Prize for Community Development (cash...!!) and has estimated that
the number of times a radio presenter says in introducing me: "...from the
University of..." is worth $300,000 a year in free publicity. So there you are:
hit one straight back to the eco-rats - on their own terms!

More: look at this week's radio ratings. ABC talk is pegging back the
commercials. The afternoon program on the ABC in Adelaide is only .5 behind the
leading commercial talk station in that slot - and NSW is also doing very well
still. Suggestion: there is an appetite among listeners for the sorts of
analysis and commentary and question raising we can do, and ABC producers are
beginning to use the new networks to involve us more and more. - But so are the
commercials: it's harder to do, more risky, and takes a different format, but
gets to big audiences, and different audiences. And in my state at least,
almost all of the talk producers on the commercials are our own graduates...
Use those connections!

Jackie Cook
(Comm and Journalism, Uni Of South Australia)