[csaa-forum] Rebecca and the beach

Indigo Williams Willing adoptedvietnamese at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 11 16:31:51 CST 2004

What kind of combat sport is cultural studies?  Wow - and I thought the
academics looked so glamourous rocking up on Critical Mass, jet setting to
international conferences, and nice odd jobs sitting on government boards as
advisors.  Perhaps some of you could consider starting up a reality program
like The Apprentice - or The Survivor, only call it The Post-Doc.  Each
week, ten post-docs battle it out for tenure.  Tasks could be like who gets
the most published papers, hosting a workshop on a budget of near zero and
enduring long hours of lecturing without much sleep...I'd watch it.

BTW: glad to hear people are aware of the impact they can have on students.
The first thing I wrote on my thesis acknowledgements was a thank you to a
former lecturer who had first taught me as an undergrad in a course that
really did 'change' my life due to the way the work was delivered.  Oh, that
and he was my supervisor 4 years later.
Indigo Williams Willing (Thuy Thi Diep Huynh)
Post-Graduate Student, Soc.Sci.
The University of Queensland
MA by Research. BA Communication.
Fac. Humanities and Soc. Sci.