[csaa-forum] Jonathan Gray, seminar + journal publishing talk, USYD, 21 Feb

Gerard Goggin gerard.goggin at sydney.edu.au
Mon Feb 13 09:11:39 ACST 2023

Media & Communications (MECO) presents two events by Professor Jonathan Gray (Wisconsin) on Tues 21 Feb:

‘Dislike-Minded: Media, Audiences, and the Dynamics of Taste’
Tues 21 Feb, 12.30pm-2pm AEDT, MECO Seminar Room, S226, John Woolley Building A20
Registration & further information at https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/dislike-minded-media-audiences-and-the-dynamics-of-taste-tickets-462523689807

Abstract: Media, cultural, and communication studies of the past few decades have produced no shortage of accounts of fans, and of why people love what they love. And increasingly more is being said of hate and trollery. But still relatively little has been said about principled, impassioned dislike. Are dislikers just snobs, as Pierre Bourdieu told us? In this talk, I move beyond this singular explanation, and draw from over 200 qualitative interviews to offer a number of observations and conclusions about what dislike tells us, and why and how it matters as its own affective response to media.

Excited advertising rhetoric tells us we’re in an age of on demand consumption, where each one of us gets what we want when we want it. But we’re all still regularly hearing songs we “hate,” having screen media chosen for us, inhabiting public space that is semi-colonized by major brands, franchises, and celebrities, and being subjected to as much or more than we actively select. My talk will focus on what a study of interactions with such media can tell us about relationships between identity, power, media, and reception, and about people’s expectations for improved and better media.

Bio: Jonathan Gray is Hamel Family Distinguished Chair in Communication Arts at University of Wisconsin - Madison, USA. Much of his work examines the points of interaction between audiences and texts, with particular interest in television, political entertainment, comedy and satire, and their audience reception. His books include Dislike-Minded: Media, Audiences, and the Dynamics of Taste, Television Goes to the Movies (with Derek Johnson), Television Studies (with Amanda D. Lotz), Show Sold Separately: Promos, Spoilers, and Other Media Paratexts, Television Entertainment, and Watching with The Simpsons: Television, Parody, and Intertextuality. An ICA Fellow and a past Peabody Awards Board of Jurors members, he is also Chief Editor of International Journal of Cultural Studies and co-editor of NYU Press’ Critical Cultural Communication series.

‘Publishing in Cultural & Media Research’
Tues 21 Feb, 10:15 am – 11:15 am AEDT, MECO Seminar Room, S226, John Woolley Building A20

Professor Jonathan Gray discusses trends, tips and tricks for doctoral and early-career cultural and media researchers interested in publishing their work in journals and books. In particular, Professor Gray will provide information and draw on his experience of editing International Journal of Cultural Studies (IJCS), a leading outlet in the field, and NYU Press’ Critical Cultural Communication book series.

Registration & further information at https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/journal-publishing-in-cultural-media-research-tickets-542770058857

For queries or further details, contact Mark R. Johnson (mark.r.johnson at sydney.edu.au<mailto:mark.r.johnson at sydney.edu.au>), ‘Media at Sydney’ events organizer, or Gerard Goggin (gerard.goggin at sydney.edu.au<mailto:gerard.goggin at sydney.edu.au>)

Gerard Goggin | FAHA
Professor of Media and Communications
Discipline of Media and Communications
School of Art, Communication and English
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, University of Sydney
e: gerard.goggin at sydney.edu.au<mailto:gerard.goggin at sydney.edu.au>
w: http://sydney.edu.au/arts/media_communications/staff/gerard_goggin.shtml<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/pRioC6XQ4Lfo9GyWgFp2i4J?domain=sydney.edu.au>
publications via ORCiD<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/UOo2C71R2NTm6WZR0FWmex4?domain=orcid.org>