[csaa-forum] UNSW School of the Arts and Media Digital Seminar: Sarah Brouillette, 24 June 2022

Andrew Brooks a.brooks at unsw.edu.au
Tue Jun 21 09:24:17 ACST 2022

[UNSW]

School of the Arts and Media Seminar Series 2022
All welcome

Wattpad and the New Bibliotherapy
Sarah Brouillette (Carleton University)

This talk connects newly intensified feminization of work in publishing to bibliotherapeutic ideas about writing and reading as forms of care – self-care and care for others. I am using the Wattpad platform as a case study. This is a social media style self-publishing platform: mostly free to use, mostly unpaid, but with affective ‘rewards’ of fandom, ‘likes,’ shares, and community. The talk also considers how some representative Wattpad fiction reflects industry transformations. I highlight two tendencies. One is to treat fiction as a conduit to the therapeutic mirroring process of having one’s own experiences seen and acknowledged via reflection in narrative. The other is to envision writing as the creation of an inclusive caring community that celebrates deviation from normative identities and values. These are conceptions of writing that the Wattpad company is itself materially invested in, so it seems worthwhile to consider the implications of this unique convergence of platform and content.

Sarah Brouillette is a Professor in the Department of English at Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada.

[cid27272*image003.png at 01D845B1.8573B3F0]
[cid27272*image004.png at 01D845B1.8573B3F0]
10am-11am
[cid27272*image005.png at 01D845B1.8573B3F0]
Online
Register Here<https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/sarah-brouillette-wattpad-and-the-new-bibliotherapy-tickets-366668103167> [Read more]
For more information
Contact: Andrew Brooks
[cid27272*image007.png at 01D845B1.8573B3F0]
a.brooks at unsw.edu.au<mailto:a.brooks at unsw.edu.au>

--

Dr Andrew Brooks
Lecturer, Media Cultures

E: a.brooks at unsw.edu.au<mailto:a.brooks at unsw.edu.au>

I live and work on unceded Wangal country. I pay my respects elders past and present. And I extend that acknowledgment to all Traditional Custodians on whose land I work and travel through. Always was, always will be, Aboriginal land.