[csaa-forum] UNSW School of the Arts and Media Digital Seminar: Sarah Brouillette, 24 June 2022

Andrew Brooks ab at negativespaces.net
Tue Jun 21 09:59:18 ACST 2022

School of the Arts and Media Seminar Series 2022
All welcome

Wattpad and the New Bibliotherapy
Sarah Brouillette (Carleton University)

This talk connects newly intensified feminization of work in publishing to bibliotherapeutic ideas about writing and reading as forms of care – self-care and care for others. I am using the Wattpad platform as a case study. This is a social media style self-publishing platform: mostly free to use, mostly unpaid, but with affective ‘rewards’ of fandom, ‘likes,’ shares, and community. The talk also considers how some representative Wattpad fiction reflects industry transformations. I highlight two tendencies. One is to treat fiction as a conduit to the therapeutic mirroring process of having one’s own experiences seen and acknowledged via reflection in narrative. The other is to envision writing as the creation of an inclusive caring community that celebrates deviation from normative identities and values. These are conceptions of writing that the Wattpad company is itself materially invested in, so it seems worthwhile to consider the implications of this unique convergence of platform and content.

Sarah Brouillette is a Professor in the Department of English at Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada.

10am-11am

Online
Register Here <https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/sarah-brouillette-wattpad-and-the-new-bibliotherapy-tickets-366668103167>
For more information