[csaa-forum] Call for proposals: Bloomsbury Library of Gender in Popular Culture

Kate Ames k.ames at cqu.edu.au
Fri Jun 10 14:21:04 ACST 2022

Hi everyone,

On behalf of the editors, sending this call for papers:

Gender and Popular Culture
Library editors: Claire Nally and Angela Smith

We invite proposals for monographs to be included in this library for Bloomsbury.

The library is located within the Media Studies list at Bloomsbury but has a number of clear links with other series and areas of study: film, television, art, cultural studies, literature, history and politics, and thus would engage closely with other Bloomsbury  titles, whilst nonetheless differentiating itself in a number of ways (many of our forthcoming monographs represent the first theoretical analysis of their subject).

Whilst gender is a heavily theorised subject, our library focuses on the work of innovative scholarly practice so that in many ways the monographs we would hope to commission are the first of their kind. We anticipate monographs which would be of relevance to a wide variety of disciplines related by the common theme of gender.

The titles in the library are the work of both established and emerging academics in a variety of disciplines who are analysing gender in relatively unexplored areas.  These innovative and avant-garde titles would enhance the existing catalogue of Bloomsbury. Each monograph would be 70,000 words in length, and include a general introduction by the series editors to ensure that the links between the titles remain explicit.

The Library is emphatically interdisciplinary, with monographs and edited collections that focus on gender and sexuality to appeal to a wider range of readers in academia and beyond, and catering to an international audience.
Recently published titles include studies of gender in TV news technology; masculinity and postfeminism; steampunk and gender; and representations of the homosexuality in early cinema. We would especially welcome proposals that offer an intersectional perspective, and/or relate to recent topics such as trans, non-binary, subcultures, and ecocriticism.

In the first instance, we invite 500-word proposals to comply with the questions below and an academic cv to be sent to both co-editors (claire.nally at northumbria.ac.uk<mailto:claire.nally at northumbria.ac.uk> and angela.smith at sunderland.ac.uk<mailto:angela.smith at sunderland.ac.uk>) by 31st July, 2022.

//

[cid:image001.png at 01D87CD7.F0EBAEA0]<https://www.cqu.edu.au/>

Professor Kate Ames
PhD, MLitt(CultStud), GradCertTertEd, BBus(Commn), CertIV TAE, IFNTF, PFHEA
Director, Learning Design and Innovation, Tertiary Education Division
Member, Centre for Research in Equity and Advancement of Teaching and Education
CQUniversity Australia, Level 21 160 Ann St, Meanjin (Brisbane) QLD 4000
P +61 7 3295 1148 | X 51148 | M +61 407 183 027 | E k.ames at cqu.edu.au<mailto:k.ames at cqu.edu.au>
L au.linkedin.com/in/kateames| T @Kate_Ames
[cid:image002.png at 01D87CD7.F0EBAEA0]<https://www.cqu.edu.au/social-media>
I respectfully acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which we work and learn, and pay respect to the First Nations Peoples and their elders, past, present and future.

This communication may contain privileged or confidential information. If you have received this in error, please return to sender and delete. CRICOS: 00219C | RTO Code 40939