[csaa-forum] New, more open application criteria 2022 JERAA Research Grant Scheme

Fiona Martin fiona.martin at sydney.edu.au
Fri Jun 10 13:18:56 ACST 2022

Dear colleagues,

The Journalism Education and Research Association of Australia welcomes proposals for the competitive JERAA Research Grant scheme 2022.  Applications are due July 1st.  We have changed the grant criteria to allow all previous applicants, except previous winners, to apply.

Please send this information to any relevant mailing lists, post it on your socials and let your colleagues know.

Kind regards,
Fiona

2022 Research Grant Scheme

The Journalism Education and Research Association of Australia is pleased to announce that our Research Grant scheme will operate again in 2022. Up to $6000 is available to a journalism or media scholar at early or mid-career stage (up to 15 years post-PhD) to support a research project in the field of journalism studies.

The grant will assist the successful applicant to conduct a small-scale research project with outcomes that can be delivered in 2 years, or by July 31 2024. The aim of this scheme is to assist journalism and media scholars to illustrate their capacity to design/manage a project, boost their research profile, and increase leverage when applying for future research funding.

We particularly welcome applications that are designed to build track record and that may lead to subsequent larger competitive grant applications.

Who can apply?

You may apply for the JERAA Research Grant if you:

·     are a member of the JERAA (you may join JERAA in order to apply, or within one month of the submission of the application);

·     have commenced or completed studies at doctoral level,

·     have not previously won the award, and

·     submit your application by July 1st, 2022 addressing all questions in the application guidelines below.

Email your application to JERAA’s Vice President Research, Associate Professor Fiona Martin: fiona.martin at sydney.edu.au

Applications for this grant will be assessed by a panel of three scholars, comprised of two members of the JERAA Executive, and one external assessor.

NOTE: This research award constitutes external research funding and is highly valued in larger research grant schemes, applications for promotion, etc. It is common practice for institutions to ‘keep’ a portion of external grant money as an administration fee – but given the relatively small size of the funds granted, the applicant should liaise with relevant personnel/sections within their university to ensure that only a small (if any) administration fee will be applied by the university to administer the grant.

The Application

The application should be one (1) Word or pdf format document comprised of five parts:

1.    A three-page project outline of your proposed research. This should include a brief overview of key literature, outline your research methodology and the proposed outputs of the project. Key sub-headings to be used are outlined in the Application Guidelines (below).

2.    A brief (max. one page) budget which outlines the planned expenditure for the project. Budget items might include, for example: research assistance, travel to complete fieldwork, costs associated with running a workshop or symposium if that is a proposed output, or travel to carry out collaborative meetings with research partners.

3.    A research CV (max. four pages) which outlines your publications, previous or current grants, and research service positions. You may include publications that are forthcoming only if they have been ‘Accepted’ for publication.

4.    A support letter from your line manager or workplace supervisor indicating that your workload will allow you sufficient time to complete the project by the deadline (see details below).

5.    The signed grant declaration.

Evaluation Criteria

Applications will be evaluated on the basis of:

·     the benefits of your research to the practice, education, scholarship or theory relating to Australian journalism, or the practice of journalism globally;

·     the coherence and merit of your proposed topic of research;

·     the clarity, relevance and strength of your research methodology as a tool for reaching your specified goals;

·     the potential impact and significance of your intended outcomes;

·     your track record or relevant skills in the particular area of research;

·     indicators that the size and scale of the project is realistic for the budget that is allocated;

·     indicators that the timeline is realistic, and the project can be completed within the 24 month deadline;

·     indicators that you will be able to use the research to launch, develop, extend or otherwise benefit your journalism research activities;

·     plans to submit articles or other outcomes to peer-reviewed scholarly journals or venues of equivalent quality; and/or the potential of the project to develop in to an application for larger grant funding

We encourage applications that are original, timely and demonstrate good engagement and impact. We also welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and people with disability, regardless of sex, sexuality or gender identity.

Conditions of the Grant

Successful applicants will fulfil the following conditions:

·     Submission of a brief progress report to the JERAA Vice President (Research) by June 30, 2023 of no more than 500 words detailing your progress towards project goals.

·     Submission of a final report to the JERAA Vice President (Research) President by July 31 2024. This will include a statement of up to 500 words about the project’s execution and what it has achieved. You will also add a budget statement that indicates how you have used the funds that have been allocated to you.

·     Submission of peer-reviewed research articles and/or HERDC-eligible creative/professional practice work based on project findings by or prior to August 30 2024. One article should be submitted to the Australian Journalism  Review.

·     Presentation of research findings at the following JERAA conference, or in cases where you and the JERAA President agree that this is not feasible, in an article submitted to Australian Journalism Review.

·     When any research outcomes are published in any form, you will include an acknowledgement of JERAA’s funding and support.

Application Guidelines

To apply for JERAA Research Grant, please submit your application via email to fiona.martin at sydney.edu.au<mailto:fiona.martin at sydney.edu.au> by July 1st, 2022. Please put the words “JERAA Research Grant” in the subject line of your email. If you need to confirm whether your membership is active, log into the website https://jera.org.au or email Janet Fulton: <janet.m.fulton at gmail.com>. For details on how to join, see https://jeraa.org.au/membership-account/membership-checkout/

We have provided below a template for the key areas that your application should address. Note the Proposal sub-headings outlined below are guides only – please use your three-page description to outline your project as clearly as possible and to ensure you consider the issues we’ve outlined below. Please submit only one Word or pdf document containing all relevant information.

Personal Details:

Name (Title, Given Name, Family Name)

Position (Your Current Job Title, Name of Your Institution)

Contact (Postal Address, Email, Phone)

Proposal Sections:

Project Title

Project Description (100 words)

Research Method and Approach

Ethical Clearance (Maximum: One sentence to identify whether you will need ethical clearance for this project. If yes, identify in your Timeline when you will apply for clearance.)

Timeline

Anticipated Outcomes (Outline what the project will achieve overall, alongside details of specific deliverables, such as publications or other works)

Significance of the Project (For example -- Why is this project important? What will be its impact? What gap is it filling, how is it advancing our field?)

Track Record and/or Relevant Professional Skills (Provide evidence of your impact and contribution to the project’s field. This may include an overview of your academic research track record; and/or outline your ability to produce HERDC-eligible creative/professional practice research outputs)

Budget (Up to one page: this may include teaching buyouts, research assistance, equipment, travel, or other research-related expenses. If you will hire a Research Assistant, you should identify the number of hours to be paid, the hourly pay rate, plus the percentage oncosts that your institution requires for their employment. This is usually 18% to 30% on top of the RA’s salary.)

Academic C.V. (Up to four pages)

Optional: Other Relevant Details

Support from the Relevant Authorising Officer

Attach a short letter or email from your workplace supervisor indicating s/he is aware of the proposed project, is willing to allow you to conduct the project if you are successful, and agrees that that your workload will allow you sufficient time to complete the project by the deadline. The relevant supervisor must have sufficient knowledge of your overall work responsibilities to be able to judge whether you could realistically complete the project by the deadline given your workload requirements, eg Head of School/Portfolio/Division, Unit Director, Executive Dean, etc.

Declaration:

Cut and paste the following declaration to the end of your application, then sign and date it.

I declare that this application for a JERAA Research Grant is entirely my own work. References to other people’s work and ideas have been appropriately attributed. To the best of my knowledge, the information that I have provided is true, correct and accurate.

If I am a successful grant applicant, I will conduct my project in an ethical fashion. If ethical clearance is required, I will obtain Human Research Ethics Committee approval before I recruit any participants for my project.

I plan to complete my project by 30 July 2024 and will provide JERAA with a final report of 500 words about the project’s execution and achievements. I will lodge an interim report on project progress by June 30 2023. I will also submit my research outcomes to suitable peer- reviewed journals and/or other appropriate publications by end of the month folllowing the completion date.

Add the following sentence if you do not have funding from other sources:

I do not have funding from other sources to undertake the activities that I have described in my grant proposal above.

Add the following sentences if you do have funding from other sources (e.g., if this project forms part of a bigger project, and you have funding for other elements of that project):

I have funding from other sources to undertake activities that are complementary to this project but do not replicate it. In the ‘Purpose’ and ‘Methodology’ sections of my application I have:

·     named those other funding sources,

·     provided details of the funding amounts and what the funds are for, and

·     explained clearly how the different elements of the project will work together.

I will immediately inform the JERAA Vice President Research, currently Associate Professor Fiona Martin, if there are any changes to circumstances or activities outlined in my proposal.

I understand that all grant applications will be judged independently by a panel comprised of members of the JERAA Executive, and one external assessor. I will respect the panel’s decision as final. I also understand that the JERAA may decline to offer a JERAA Research Grant in any given year.