[csaa-forum] CFP: The somatechnics of COVID-19

Randell-Moon, Holly hrandell-moon at csu.edu.au
Wed Sep 29 16:25:56 ACST 2021

Dear CSAA Colleagues,

Please see below a call for paper for Somatechnics: Journal of Bodies - Technology - Power.

We are also looking for a couple of articles for the next general issue, these can be on any topic related to somatechnics.

Kind regards,

Holly.

The somatechnics of COVID-19

Somatechnics is an approach to corporeality which considers it as always already bound up with a variety of technologies, techniques, and technics. Somatechnics enables an examination of the lived experiences engendered within a given context, and the effects that technologies, technés, and techniques have on embodiment, subjectivity, and sociality. Current COVID-19 exigencies constitute and are constituted by a number of somatechnologies relating to the flows of inter-subjective and trans-corporeal matter, the somatechnics of social categorizations which designate some subjects and matter safe or unsafe, and the utilization of a range of technologies to conduct bodies for work, leisure, and education in a pandemic. The somatechnics of race and whiteness in fostering knowledge of public comportment, community behaviour, emotion and affect as well as policing and security have particular critical purchase at present. The biopolitics and necropolitics of economy and calculation have also been technologised in various ways throughout the pandemic rendering the somatechnics of COVID-19 asymmetrical rather than equalizing.

Somatechnics: Journal of Bodies – Technologies – Power is calling for short pieces that examine and explicate the somatechnics of COVID-19. The first call for the 2,500-4,000w pieces are due January 24th. Pieces will be subject to editorial review. We understand that there is an unequal burden of care and work being experienced by thinkers and activists at present. The inclusion of short pieces on the current pandemic is intended as an opportunity to collect and publicise critical reflection of the present moment within a less onerous publication process. The editorial team will also send out further calls prior to the publication of issues over the coming months to enable further opportunity for critique. We encourage interested authors to get in touch with the editors if they are interested in submitting.

Please contact the co-editor, Dr. Holly Randell-Moon, if you're interested in submitting: hrandell-moon at csu.edu.au

[Charles Sturt University]<http://www.csu.edu.au/>

|   ALBURY-WODONGA   |   BATHURST   |   BRISBANE   |   CANBERRA   |   DUBBO   |   GOULBURN   |   MELBOURNE   |   ORANGE   |   PORT MACQUARIE   |   SYDNEY   |   WAGGA WAGGA   |

LEGAL NOTICE
This email (and any attachment) is confidential and is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not copy, distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any confidentiality is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery. Email should be checked for viruses and defects before opening. Charles Sturt University does not accept liability for viruses or any consequence which arise as a result of this email transmission. Email communications with Charles Sturt University may be subject to automated email filtering, which could result in the delay or deletion of a legitimate email before it is read at Charles Sturt University. The views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of Charles Sturt University.

Charles Sturt University in Australia<http://www.csu.edu.au> The Grange Chancellery, Panorama Avenue, Bathurst NSW Australia 2795 (ABN: 83 878 708 551; CRICOS Provider Number: 00005F (National)). TEQSA Provider Number: PV12018

Consider the environment before printing this email.