[csaa-forum] Research Assistant for Cross-Cultural STEM Project

Randell-Moon, Holly hrandell-moon at csu.edu.au
Fri Aug 27 20:23:49 ACST 2021

Dear CSAA Colleagues,

Dr. Nick Ruddell from the School of Indigenous Australian Studies is currently seeking a Research Assistant for a project on Cross-Cultural STEM Education, see details below. 100hours is offered.

If you're interested, please contact Dr. Ruddell at: nruddell at csu.edu.au<mailto:nruddell at csu.edu.au>

Kind regards,

Holly.

I am looking for an RA for my 2021 school STEM research project on: Community knowledge, enduring engineering, automation, river hydrology and sustainable river management are the main themes.

I am in need of an RA to put together literature in relation to traditional Indigenous Australian river fish trapping.  Along with academic literature I am also interested in knowing about what resources and/ or information Government, CSIRO and education departments are producing. My focus is Wiradyuri but an Australia wide focus is fine. The Brewarrina and Budj Bim traps are excellent examples.

Here’s the project abstract and excerpts from the grant application:

STEM education inquiry: towards a framework for cross-cultural, intra- and inter- disciplinary research
Project Description and Background
Improving engagement and achievement in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education is a national priority (Murphy et al., 2018). The need to act is driven by research (Danaia, Fitzgerald, McKinnon, 2013) that shows many students find science irrelevant and unrelated to their personal lives. Furthermore, Australian First Nation students feel alienated by a Western science system that has dismissed First Nation Knowledge systems for over two centuries (McKinley & Stewart, 2012). This is reflected in the disparity between Indigenous and non-Indigenous engagement and learning outcomes across Australia, particularly rural and regional locations (Productivity Commission, 2016). Given the importance the National Science Curriculum places on ensuring First Nations knowledge and perspectives are integrated into school STEM projects (ACARA, 2021), it is critical that schools translate requirements into culturally safe, best practice.

A pilot project is proposed to investigate how to connect schools with Wiradyuri knowledge holders and in turn, how Wiradyuri knowledge holders can establish connections with schools to co-design a framework that integrates place-based, cross-cultural concepts of STEM into the NSW Primary school curriculum.

The research will investigate the: impact of a STEM pilot program which introduces Year five and six students to Wiradyuri knowledge holders who will demonstrate traditional methods of fish trap engineering;  Interest and participation of students who, using scientific method, are challenged to design and test a model fish trap that can withstand variable water flows and levels.

Significance and Innovation

  *   Findings will show how pre- and post-invasion hydrological First Nation engineering can contribute to teaching and delivery of STEM in Australian schools
  *   Exemplar of how to co-develop research with internal and external academics, Wiradyuri Elders and local school community

  *   Advocate for culturally appropriate protocols, procedures and best practices that add to the social capital of an entire community as traditional culture and cultural knowledge intersects with the contemporary world.
  *   Offer a fresh, scalable contribution to the field by employing contemporary, de-colonised theoretical frameworks, educational materials and relationship development techniques.
  *   Provides an exemplar for the chief investigator to lead ongoing research in multiple school sites.

I have at least 100 hours on offer. If you are interested please email me (nruddell at csu.edu.au<mailto:nruddell at csu.edu.au>) directly for more information.

[Charles Sturt University]<http://www.csu.edu.au/>

|   ALBURY-WODONGA   |   BATHURST   |   BRISBANE   |   CANBERRA   |   DUBBO   |   GOULBURN   |   MELBOURNE   |   ORANGE   |   PORT MACQUARIE   |   SYDNEY   |   WAGGA WAGGA   |

LEGAL NOTICE
This email (and any attachment) is confidential and is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not copy, distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any confidentiality is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery. Email should be checked for viruses and defects before opening. Charles Sturt University does not accept liability for viruses or any consequence which arise as a result of this email transmission. Email communications with Charles Sturt University may be subject to automated email filtering, which could result in the delay or deletion of a legitimate email before it is read at Charles Sturt University. The views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of Charles Sturt University.

Charles Sturt University in Australia<http://www.csu.edu.au> The Grange Chancellery, Panorama Avenue, Bathurst NSW Australia 2795 (ABN: 83 878 708 551; CRICOS Provider Number: 00005F (National)). TEQSA Provider Number: PV12018

Consider the environment before printing this email.