[csaa-forum] “Reading Desire as a Mediating Force” a talk by Cindy Zeiher

Rosemary Overell rosemary.overell at otago.ac.nz
Wed Jun 2 06:13:31 ACST 2021

Kia ora koutou,

On behalf of the Media, Film & Communication Research Committee, it is my pleasure to invite you all to the next seminar in our series, and this will be a zoom presentation:

Guest speaker: Cindy Zeiher
Topic:
“Reading Desire as a Mediating Force”
Abstract:
Language uses us as much as we use language. As much as our choice of forms of expression is guided by the thoughts we want to express, to the same extent the way we feel about the things in the real world governs the way we express ourselves in these settings… (Lakoff, 1975, p. 3).

What can be said about our desire? Desire is more than merely a concept of perpetual subjective crisis, that is, ‘what do I think I want (to desire)?!’ It is something, a conundrum, which actually does trouble the subject and its orientation in the world, perhaps because its obvious counterpart, sex, has historically been regarded with suspicion and contempt. Yet for psychoanalysis, especially those from the Freudian and Lacanian traditions, it is clear that desire has its foundation in the libidinal drives and is thus a source of anxiety, an anxiety which haunts the subject for their lifespan. This seminar focuses on the anxiety of attempting to ground desire as a troubling subjective position. Here, via popular culture examples, we consider desire as taken up by Lacan and Foucault and consider how, despite it being an anxiety, desire also provides a position (or state of exception) as a mediating drive.
Bio:
Cindy Zeiher is a lecturer in the human services program at the University of Canterbury New Zealand. Her research focuses on Lacanian and Freudian psychoanalysis as well as feminist theory.