[csaa-forum] Webinar: Place-making and settler autochthony in Parks and Recreation

Randell-Moon, Holly hrandell-moon at csu.edu.au
Wed Apr 21 20:35:08 ACST 2021

Researchers from the School of Indigenous Australian Studies<https://arts-ed.csu.edu.au/schools/indigenous-aust-studies/home> at Charles Sturt University are presenting on their research in this seminar series.

Seminar 1

May 12th, 12noon AEST, Dr. Holly Randell-Moon<https://researchoutput.csu.edu.au/en/persons/holly-randell-moon>

Click here to register for this seminar<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/place-making-and-settler-autochthony-in-parks-and-recreation-tickets-151627342463?ref=estw>

“Now entering Pawnee, good luck with that”: Place-making and settler autochthony in Parks and Recreation

Abstract: The North American television show Parks and Recreation focuses on the bureaucratic processes and practices of managing the Parks and Recreation Department for the fictional town of Pawnee, Indiana. Filmed in the mockumentary style of television comedies such as The Office, humour is derived from the discrepancy between the self-importance the main character, Leslie Knope, deputy director of the department, attaches to the department’s work and the mundane realities of mid-level bureaucracy in municipal government. Drawing from a co-authored article with Arthur J. Randell, in this presentation, I elaborate on the politics of bureaucracy in place-making, with relation to the Indigenous histories that are produced through bureaucratic relations with the Pawnee Parks Department. Place is central to the construction of bureaucracy in Parks and its comedic aesthetics. By using the mockumentary conceit to focus on public administration, Parks and Recreation reveals the role of bureaucracy in place-making and the attendant histories that are included and excluded in the foundation of settler autochthony.

Holly Randell-Moon is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Indigenous Australian Studies at Charles Sturt University, Australia. Her publications on popular culture, biopower, gender and sexuality have appeared in the edited book collections Common Sense: Intelligence as Presented on Popular Television (2008) and Television Aesthetics and Style (2013) as well as the journals Feminist Media Studies, Celebrity Studies,and Refractory.

Seminar 2

June 16th, 12noon AEST, Professor Sue Green<https://researchoutput.csu.edu.au/en/persons/sue-green>

Seminar 3

August 11th, 12noon AEST, Dr. Nick Ruddell<https://researchoutput.csu.edu.au/en/persons/nrudde01csueduau>

Developing Inter-cultural STEM Capabilities in Education

Seminar 4

September 8th, 12noon AEST, Dr. Peta Jeffries<https://researchoutput.csu.edu.au/en/persons/peta-jeffries>

Decolonising ecologies

For more information, please visit here: https://criticalindigenousresearch.csu.domains/events/

[Charles Sturt University]<http://www.csu.edu.au/>

|   ALBURY-WODONGA   |   BATHURST   |   BRISBANE   |   CANBERRA   |   DUBBO   |   GOULBURN   |   MELBOURNE   |   ORANGE   |   PORT MACQUARIE   |   SYDNEY   |   WAGGA WAGGA   |

LEGAL NOTICE
This email (and any attachment) is confidential and is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not copy, distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any confidentiality is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery. Email should be checked for viruses and defects before opening. Charles Sturt University does not accept liability for viruses or any consequence which arise as a result of this email transmission. Email communications with Charles Sturt University may be subject to automated email filtering, which could result in the delay or deletion of a legitimate email before it is read at Charles Sturt University. The views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of Charles Sturt University.

Charles Sturt University in Australia<http://www.csu.edu.au> The Grange Chancellery, Panorama Avenue, Bathurst NSW Australia 2795 (ABN: 83 878 708 551; CRICOS Provider Number: 00005F (National)). TEQSA Provider Number: PV12018

Consider the environment before printing this email.