[csaa-forum] CFP: The Somatechnics of Research

Randell-Moon, Holly hrandell-moon at csu.edu.au
Mon Mar 29 13:40:45 ACST 2021

The Somatechnics of Research

Guest edited by Dennis Bruining, Holly Randell-Moon, and Saartje Tack

This special issue Somatechnics: Journal of Bodies - Technologies - Power invites contributions that critically examine how research methods, methodologies, theories, practices and institutions constitute somatechnics. Somatechnics here is understood broadly as an approach the body/ technology nexus that displaces the 'and' in 'bodies and technologies' to account for the ways bodies are always already technologized. Somatechnics research has engendered a wide range of innovative and ground-breaking transdisciplinary scholarship on the body that has been particularly productive in furthering our understanding of the lived experience of various corporealities and social justice issues. This special issue asks how research and its practices engender somatechnical relations of power that constrain and enable the production of knowledge and the capacity to theorise in particular ways.

We are interested in work that:

  *   Links somatechnics to philosophies of technology in ways that disclose current research practices
  *   Explores research practices and institutions as technologies of particular kinds of ontologies and epistemologies, for instance in the context of colonising knowledges per Linda Tuhiwai Smith
  *   Reads somatechnics as a conceptual interlocutor between different theoretical and methodological approaches to research practice
  *   Discusses the materiality and embodied dimensions to research practices
  *   Connects somatechnics to theories of power and racialization in research practice
  *   Relates somatechnics to the operation of neoliberal capitalism and the moulding of bodies as receptive to neoliberal regimes in current research practice

We are also interested in work that addresses the broad theme of the somatechnics of research.

Please send 200-300w abstracts to: hrandell-moon at csu.edu.au<mailto:hrandell-moon at csu.edu.au>

Abstracts are due April 30th, 2021.

Notifications of acceptance will be sent out on May 16th, 2021. Full articles of 6,000-,7000w are due July 30th, 2021.

We also welcome shorter review essays of 5,000-6,000w.

For more information on the journal, please visit here: https://www.euppublishing.com/loi/soma

Dr Holly Randell-Moon

Senior Lecturer
School of Indigenous Australian Studies
Charles Sturt University
Wiradyuri
Locked Bag 49
Dubbo NSW 2830
Australia

I acknowledge the sovereignty of Wiradyuri,
Ngunawal, Gundungurra and Birpai peoples
of Australia who are the traditional owners and
custodians of the lands on which Charles Sturt University's campuses are situated. These
lands have always been places of learning.
I pay my respects to Elders both past and present and I honour them for maintaining the cultural and intellectual foundations that ensure these traditions continue in perpetuity.

yindyamarra winhanganha

[cid:image001.png at 01D724AD.B0B82800]
Co-Editor, Somatechnics<https://www.euppublishing.com/loi/soma>

www.spaceracebodies3.com<http://www.spaceracebodies3.com/>

"I don't like workaholics. Don't ... trust them. Why are they working? I don't trust busy [people]. That's how wars start." Noel Gallager, 2013

Recent publications:

Randell-Moon, H. (2020). Coloniality, tourism, and city-branding as an apparatus of forgetting in Dunedin, Aotearoa New Zealand. In D. Linehan, I . D. Clark & P. F. Xie (Eds.), Colonialism, Tourism and Place: Global Transformations in Tourist Definitions<https://www.e-elgar.com/shop/gbp/colonialism-tourism-and-place-9781789908183.html> (pp. 163-179). Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.

Randell-Moon, H. (Ed.). (2019). Incarceration, Migration and Indigenous Sovereignty: Thoughts on Existence and Resistance in Racist Times<https://www.spaceracebodies3.com/srb-publications> (2nd printing). Dubbo: Space, Race, Bodies.

Randell-Moon, H., & Tippet, R. (Eds.). (2016). Security, Race, Biopower: Essays on Technology <https://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9781137554079> and Corporeality<https://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9781137554079>. London: Palgrave Macmillan.

[Charles Sturt University]<http://www.csu.edu.au/>

|   ALBURY-WODONGA   |   BATHURST   |   BRISBANE   |   CANBERRA   |   DUBBO   |   GOULBURN   |   MELBOURNE   |   ORANGE   |   PORT MACQUARIE   |   SYDNEY   |   WAGGA WAGGA   |

LEGAL NOTICE
This email (and any attachment) is confidential and is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not copy, distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any confidentiality is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery. Email should be checked for viruses and defects before opening. Charles Sturt University does not accept liability for viruses or any consequence which arise as a result of this email transmission. Email communications with Charles Sturt University may be subject to automated email filtering, which could result in the delay or deletion of a legitimate email before it is read at Charles Sturt University. The views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of Charles Sturt University.

Charles Sturt University in Australia<http://www.csu.edu.au> The Grange Chancellery, Panorama Avenue, Bathurst NSW Australia 2795 (ABN: 83 878 708 551; CRICOS Provider Number: 00005F (National)). TEQSA Provider Number: PV12018

Consider the environment before printing this email.