[csaa-forum] Curtin University 2020 Annual Human Rights Lecture: "Race, Gender, and Black Lives Don’t Matter in the Age of COVID"

Baden Offord baden.offord at curtin.edu.au
Sun Oct 11 10:09:16 ACST 2020

Dear CSAA members and friends,

I'm delighted to announce that Curtin University, through the Centre for Human Rights Education (CHRE) is pleased to present the 2020 Annual Human Rights Lecture on Friday 23 October.

About this Event
The 2020 Annual Human Rights Lecture will be delivered by lawyer, critical race and feminist humanitarian, Dean and Distinguished Bessie Dutton Murray Professor, Adrien K. Wing, from the University of Iowa College of Law.

About the lecture
The Curtin Annual Human Rights Lecture, established in 2016, is a key initiative for the CHRE.
In 2020, Distinguished Bessie Dutton Murray Professor Adrien K. Wing will deliver a livestreamed presentation from the United States titled, "Race, Gender, and Black Lives Don’t Matter in the Age of COVID"

Last year 2019, CHRE hosted journalist, writer, filmmaker and refugee advocate Behrouz Boochani. Previous speakers included, Professor Gillian Triggs, Former President of the Australian Human Rights Commission in 2016, and by Dr Waleed Aly, media commentator and academic in 2017, and the Hon Michael Kirby AC CMG in 2018.

Friday 23 October 2020
Livestream start times:
WA: 9.30am
NT: 11.00am
QLD: 11.30am
SA: 12.00pm
NSW/ACT/VIC/TAS: 12.30pm

A link to log in to the livestream will be provided 48 hours prior to the event.

You can REGISTER here: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/curtin-university-chre-annual-human-rights-lecture-tickets-124503107145?fbclid=IwAR37SmdLE4a1dz0Qgw53oNipAr0LxCCrXrdpbYlhrC2jgC0oSTup-KPJqY8

Best wishes,
Baden

Professor Baden Offord, PhD
Haruhisa Handa Chair of Human Rights
Director | Centre for Human Rights Education
Research Professor of Cultural Studies and Human Rights

School of Media, Creative Arts and Social Inquiry
Faculty of Humanities
Curtin University
T: | +61 8 9266 7186
E: | baden.offord at curtin.edu.au
E: | badenofford29 at gmail.com
W|http://humanrights.curtin.edu.au<http://humanrights.curtin.edu.au/>
CRICOS Provider Code 00301J (WA)

I acknowledge the Whadjuk people of the Noongar nation on whose lands Curtin University stands. I pay my respects to all Indigenous custodians of the lands across Australia.