[csaa-forum] Race in Society - Race and Covid web series

Alana Lentin mail at alanalentin.net
Mon Aug 17 08:51:29 ACST 2020

Race in Society is a new, fortnightly YouTube series that will focus on timely issues and themes of racial justice. Race in Society begins with the premise that race is a key organising principle in society and a technique of governance which reproduces inequality. We also accept, and will unpack, how racial discrimination is a core feature of institutions and social relations. We will explore the institutionalisation of race and racism in health, policy, media, the law, the economy, and beyond.

Our series will feature Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander critical race scholars, service providers and practitioners, along with other non-Indigenous people of colour who research and work in organisations addressing racial justice. Our first seven episodes explore race and the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Your hosts are Associate Professor Alana Lentin and Dr Zuleyka Zevallos, two sociologists who have been researching race and racism for many years.

See Alana's research: http://www.alanalentin.net/ and connect with her on Twitter @alanalentin: https://twitter.com/alanalentin See Zuleyka's research: https://othersociologist.com/ and connect with her on Twitter @OtherSociology: https://twitter.com/othersociology

Episode 1 can be found here. The subsequent 6 episodes will be posted once fortnightly.

Episode 2 on ‘Indigenous sovereignty and responses to COVID-19’ will feature Distinguished Professor Aileen Moreton-Robinson (RMIT) Dr Debbie Bargallie (Griffith University) and Jill Gallagher OA (CEO, Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation)

--

Alana Lentin

mail at alanalentin.net

www.alanalentin.net