[csaa-forum] SSAAANZ Conference November 2020, Call for Papers (Susan Potter)

Susan Potter susan.potter at sydney.edu.au
Tue Jan 14 15:34:02 ACST 2020

SCREEN FUTURES: Media, Concepts, Worlds—Third Biennial Conference of the Screen Studies Association of Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand (SSAAANZ)<http://bit.ly/screen-futures>

Hosted by the University of Sydney Film Studies Program, Department of Art History, School of Literature, Art and Media, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences

Keynote speakers confirmed:

Professor Francesco Casetti<https://filmstudies.yale.edu/people/francesco-casetti> (Yale University)
Professor Jackie Stacey<https://www.alc.manchester.ac.uk/cidral/about/our-people/professor-jackie-stacey/> (University of Manchester)
Associate Professor Jo Smith<https://www.wgtn.ac.nz/seftms/about/staff/jo-smith> (Victoria University of Wellington)

Call for papers:

“We must do what we can to open our imaginations up to a radically different set of future possibilities.”
—Crow Chief Plenty Coups’s reasoning, according to Jonathan Lear, Radical Hope: Ethics in the Face of Cultural Devastation

Our screens are filled with images of the future, some uncannily familiar to us, some strange and unsettling. As climate and ecological emergencies are declared or denied, democratic states collapse, and authoritarianism intensifies, it seems necessary to break with the business-as-usual call for papers to consider the future of screen-based media, and those disciplines organised around and oriented to them. If the intellectual project of screen studies in its broadest sense is to consider how screen arts and media shape our selves and our worlds, what does the present moment require of us? The biennial conference of the Screen Studies Association of Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand (SSAAANZ) provides an opportunity to focus on future research, practice-based and teaching agendas, both individual and collective, from diverse standpoints and critical orientations. Can we consider the state of the field in terms of how it might reflect, mediate, negotiate and anticipate the state of the world? What can screen arts and media, and screen studies, contribute to transformations in cultures that might guarantee viable or, even better, flourishing futures?

SSAAANZ invites proposals from researchers, archivists, educators, policymakers, and practitioners that address this broad theme and its possible topics, including but not limited to:

  *   Activist screen media in the attention economy
  *   Archives for future historians
  *   Cinema experience in the twenty-first century
  *   Cyber-feminist methodologies for screen media
  *   Decolonising screen media
  *   Documentary’s anticipatory ethics
  *   Dystopian and utopian screen media
  *   The ecological politics of screen media
  *   The future of film and television in the absence of the state
  *   The (negative) futures of queer screen media
  *   Hypertopic screen media
  *   Histories and philosophies of screen media time and time-consciousness
  *   Indigenous screen media
  *   Mediating migration
  *   Memory and screen media
  *   New keywords for screen studies
  *   Petromodernity, hydrocarbon imaginaries and histories of screen media
  *   Post-cinema’s extinction imaginary
  *   Post-war film movements and/as regenerative film culture
  *   Screen media and scientific research
  *   Time-based versus time-critical screen media
  *   Trauma, affect and screen media.

Submission format guidelines

Individual paper: standard scholarly paper; 20 minutes.

Pre-formed panels: three or four papers focused on a single project or a shared research theme or topic; option (1) four speakers; or option (2) three speakers with a respondent; 80 minutes total excluding Q&A.

Show-and-tell: a short presentation of a screen art/media case study, followed by audience discussion; 20 minutes. The time available should be split evenly between screening plus commentary (10 minutes), and audience discussion (10 minutes). The category of screen media is open and may include short creative work or excerpts from longer work, work-in-progress, video essays, fragments or orphans, or archival screen media.

Please send an abstract of 200-250 words and a short bio of 50 words to ssaaanz2020.conference at sydney.edu.au <mailto:ssaaanz2020.conference at sydney.edu.au> no later than 1 May, 23:59pm AEST. Please state clearly the proposed format of your presentation. Pre-formed panel proposals should include an additional abstract on the project or research theme, and nominate option (1) or (2).

For general conference inquiries, please email the Chair of the Conference Steering Committee, Dr Susan Potter<mailto:susan.potter at sydney.edu.au>.

Conference Steering Committee: Bruce Isaacs, Susan Potter (Chair), Richard Smith (Film Studies Program, The University of Sydney); Anna Broinowski, Stefan Popescu (Sydney College of the Arts, The University of Sydney). Early Career Researcher Event Subcommittee: Max Bledstein (University of New South Wales), Ivan Čerečina (University of Sydney), Janice Loreck (Curtin University), Missy Molloy (Victoria University of Wellington), Kirsten Stevens (University of Melbourne).

Note that the conference will run from the afternoon of Tuesday 24 November through to the afternoon of Friday 27 November. All confirmed presenters will be required to be financial members of SSAAANZ in order to register for the conference.

The Film Studies Program acknowledges and pays respect to the traditional owners of the lands on which the University of Sydney Camperdown Campus is built, the Gadigal people of the Eora Nation. We pay respect to the knowledge embedded forever within Aboriginal Custodianship of Country, and acknowledge that the lands of the Gadigal people were never ceded.

We are committed to organising a conference with a minimal carbon footprint.
DR SUSAN POTTER
Lecturer in Film Studies
Department of Art History | School of Literature, Art, and Media | Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 228, RC Mills Building A26 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9114 0552  | W https://sydney.edu.au/arts

Secretary Screen Studies Association of Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand (SSAAANZ)<https://ssaaanz.org/>
SSAAANZ Conference 2020 hosted by the Film Studies Program, University of Sydney
http://bit.ly/screen-futures