[csaa-forum] CFP: Towards a Global Sociology of Trans and Gender Diverse Health

Kerryn Drysdale k.drysdale at unsw.edu.au
Sun Dec 8 11:18:45 ACST 2019

Hi everyone

This CFPs may be of interest to CSAA members, especially those working in the medical humanities.

Thanks
Kerryn

Kerryn Drysdale

Research Fellow

Centre for Social Research in Health

UNSW SYDNEY NSW 2052 AUSTRALIA

E: k.drysdale at unsw.edu.au<mailto:k.drysdale at unsw.edu.au>

T: +61 2 9385 6412

W: csrh.arts.unsw.edu.au<http://www.sprc.unsw.edu.au/> | unsw.edu.au

CRICOS Provider Code 00098G

[cid:26d800eb-7383-4e48-99ba-28e2399ad52f]<http://csrh.arts.unsw.edu.au/>

New book: Drysdale, K. 2019. Intimate Investments in Drag King Cultures: The Rise and Fall of a Lesbian Social Scene<https://www.palgrave.com/us/book/9783030157760>. Palgrave Macmillan

I acknowledge the Aboriginal nations as the first peoples of Australia. I pay my respects to elders past, present and emerging.

Pronouns: she/her

Dear all,

We are pleased to announce a new Call for Papers for the Q1-ranked Taylor & Francis journal Health Sociology Review, focused on the topic of trans and gender diverse health.

We very much appreciate any support you can provide with promoting this through relevant networks, so that we can reach as broad a range of potential contributors as possible.

A pdf version of the Call for Papers can also be found at: www.tasa.org.au/docs.ashx?id=571987<http://www.tasa.org.au/docs.ashx?id=571987>

Best wishes,
Christy Newman
UNSW Sydney

Call for Papers for special issue of Health Sociology Review
Towards a Global Sociology of Trans and Gender Diverse Health

After years of advocacy for improved recognition and action, the health and well-being of trans and gender diverse people is receiving overdue attention. In some parts of the world, gender-affirming care is made available in forms which explicitly support a diverse range of gender identities, service preferences and affirmation goals. However, good quality models of care are unevenly available and face a range of threats, creating heightened uncertainty for those who need to access them.
The aim of this special issue is to enhance knowledge on what supports and complicates the provision of health care and support for trans and gender diverse people across different parts of the world.

We are seeking both empirical research and theoretical contributions on such topics as:

  *   Health care expectations and experiences
  *   Systems and training for inclusive and affirming healthcare
  *   Relationships between public, private and community health systems
  *   Impact of violence, poverty and homelessness on health and well-being
  *   Interplay of media, political, policy and research perspectives
  *   Community representation and leadership, including peer inclusion
  *   Challenges collecting, sharing and reporting accurate and meaningful data
  *   Experiences and pressures for health and other professionals
We encourage submissions which speak to different cultural contexts and health systems and recognise the diverse needs and understandings of health and well-being among trans and gender diverse people, including in the types of care and support desired. We value approaches which recognise diversity in gender expressions and identities, including transgender, transsexual, gender diverse, non-binary, genderqueer, and others. Partnerships with established and emerging trans and gender diverse researchers, theorists, clinicians and community leaders are particularly encouraged. We also hope to feature a range of approaches to informing sociological inquiry, including quantitative and qualitative research, arts-based and reflective methods, and critical and conceptual analyses.

The special issue will be edited by a team of researchers and advocates working at the intersections of health, gender and sexuality:  Associate Professor Christy Newman (UNSW Sydney), Dr Cristyn Davies (University of Sydney), Professor Kerry Robinson (Western Sydney University), Emeritus Professor Peter Aggleton (UNSW/ANU), Dr Son Vivienne (TransGender Victoria, Minus18) and Liz Duck-Chong (transgender writer/advocate).  A commentary will be provided by Professor Emerita Raewyn Connell.

Submission guidelines

Full paper submissions are due: 15 June 2020. Please email Associate Professor Christy Newman at c.newman at unsw.edu.au<mailto:c.newman at unsw.edu.au> to indicate your interest in submitting a manuscript, or for more information.

Please review our Instructions for Authors to ensure you have everything required to move through peer review, production and publication. When you submit your manuscript, please mark your paper for consideration in the Trans and Gender Diverse Health special issue. https://www.tandfonline.com/loi/rhsr

Health Sociology Review is ranked Q1 in Scimago and offers a generous 7,500 word limit, and a short review timeframe. Submissions must make a clear contribution to sociological inquiry relevant to health, but may be informed by conceptual and empirical debates from a broader range of health and social sciences. All manuscripts will undergo the usual blind peer review process and only those that comply with standards for publication in HSR will be accepted.

Associate Professor Christy Newman (she/her)
Centre for Social Research in Health

Academic Lead (Engagement and Impact), UNSW Arts and Social Sciences
Senior Editorial Advisor, Health Sociology Review
Joint Editor, Sexual Health
Editorial Board Member, Journal of the International AIDS Society

Centre for Social Research in Health
Level 2, John Goodsell Building
UNSW SYDNEY NSW 2052 AUSTRALIA
T: +61 (2) 9385 4717
E: c.newman at unsw.edu.au
<mailto:c.newman at unsw.edu.au%0b>W: https://csrh.arts.unsw.edu.au/about-us/people/christy-newman/
W: thisnewman.net<http://www.thisnewman.net/>
<image001.jpg>
CRICOS Provider Code 00098G

*UNSW has more top ratings in broad fields of research (2018 ERA) and more impact cases rated high (2018 EI Assessment) than any other university in Australia.  **Ranked 43rd in the world by the QS rankings; UNSW ranks in the top 100 in all the major higher education rankings

Recent publications:
Newman, C.E., Persson, A., Prankumar, S.K. Lea, T., Aggleton, P. (2019) Experiences of Family Belonging among Two Generations of Sexually Diverse Australians.<https://doi.org/10.1111/fare.12411> Published online in Family Relations on 19/11/19.
Newman, C.E., Haire, Bridget (2019) ‘A reckoning that is long overdue’: Reconfiguring the work of progressive sex advice post #MeToo<https://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9783030152123>. Fileborn, Bridget and Loney-Howes, Rachel (Eds). #MeToo and the Politics of Social Change, Palgrave MacMillan: pp 235-250.
Newman, C.E., Hughes, S., Persson, A., Truong, H.M., Holt, M. (2019) Promoting ‘equitable access’ to PrEP in Australia: accounting for stakeholder perspectives<https://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-018-2311-2>. AIDS & Behavior, 23(7), 1846-1857.
Newman, C. (2019) Queer families: valuing stories of adversity, diversity and belonging<https://doi.org/10.1080/13691058.2018.1468032>. Culture, Health and Sexuality. 21 (3): 352-359.