[csaa-forum] : Australian Journal of Cultural Studies; available again

Jon Stratton jon_stratton22 at outlook.com.au
Wed Nov 13 16:45:12 ACST 2019

Dear List members,
       Once upon a time there was an Australian Journal of Cultural Studies. It ran between 1983 and 1987. It was then replaced by the journal Cultural Studies. There is a history here some of which I rehearse in my article on Cultural Studies in Perth, available in Thesis Eleven published in 2016.

Anyway, some years ago Garry Gillard, who was then attached to Murdoch University, started putting some issues of the AJCS online.  A little later I completed the project at Curtin.  So, for a while, the entire run of the journal was available on the Curtin website. Unfortunately, a few years ago Curtin took down the AJCS page.  The reason for this email is that, through the good offices of Garry, the complete run of the AJCS is once more available.  The link is:

http://garrygillard.net/readingroom/serial/AJCS/index.html

I have been in discussion with Professor Susan Luckman of the School of Creative Industries at the University of South Australia and I’m pleased to be able to tell you that, hopefully shortly, a mirror page for the AJCS will be available there.  I shall write again when this page has been created.

The Australian Journal of Cultural Studies is both an important part of the history of Cultural Studies in Australia and a resource of continuing usefulness.  The journal includes articles by John Frow, Graeme Turner, John Hartley, Iain Chambers and Jennifer Craik among others. I am very pleased that Garry has been able to recreate the entire run.

Jon