[csaa-forum] FW: 【Sign Now】 Petition by Global Academics Against Police Brutality in Hong Kong 【立即簽署】全球學者反對香港警察暴行的請願書

Fran Martin f.martin at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Nov 13 16:33:59 ACST 2019

Dear all,

Please consider signing this petition calling for an end to the police violence on (and off) university campuses in Hong Kong.
Here is a report from the Sydney Morning Herald:
https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/hong-kong-university-campus-like-a-warzone-as-night-time-battle-breaks-out-20191113-p53a1f.html

Quoting:

“The president of the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Rocky Tuan, was hit with police tear gas on Tuesday night while attempting to negotiate for calm between police and students as a day of tense stand-offs on campus erupted into a battlefield at night.
Tuan, a world-renowned biomedical scientist, was 50 metres from police as they opened fire with rubber bullets and tear gas and reportedly shouted at him that it "isn't the time to negotiate".
[…]
The university's pro vice-chancellor, Dennis Ng, arrived wearing a gas mask and yellow helmet and shouted at police with a loud speaker to stop firing. Ng said he had struck a deal with the police commander for the barrage to stop, but police continued to fire.
Protesters were later shown being carried out on stretchers from the university gym where a makeshift medical centre was created.
[…]
A group of academics from several universities had earlier decried the police incursions on to multiple university campuses on Tuesday, saying these were places where thousands of students lived and studied and were permitted to hold gatherings.
Fifty people were hospitalised on Tuesday. There were unconfirmed reports that injured students at the Chinese University could not reach hospitals.
One local politician estimated a thousand tear gas canisters had been fired at the campus by police.”

fran