[csaa-forum] Book Announcement - Intimate Investments in Drag King Cultures

Kerryn Drysdale k.drysdale at unsw.edu.au
Thu Jun 13 14:57:39 ACST 2019

Apologies for cross posting.

Announcing a new publication from Palgrave Macmillan, which I hope will be of interest.

[cid:image004.png at 01D521FC.87873D00]Intimate Investments in Drag King Cultures:
The Rise and Fall of a Lesbian Social Scene
By Kerryn Drysdale

This book takes the globally recognised phenomenon of drag king performances as an opportunity
for critical inquiry into the rise and fall of an urban scene for lesbian and queer women in Sydney,
Australia (circa 1999-2012). Exploring how a series of weekly events provided the site for intimate
encounters, Drysdale reveals the investments made by participants that worked to sustain the
sense of a small world and anchor the expansive imaginary of lesbian cultural life. But what
happens when scenes fade, as they invariably do? Intimate Investments in Drag King Cultures is
unique in capturing the perspective of a scene at the moment of its decline, revealing the process
by which a contemporary movement becomes layered with historical significance. Bringing together
the theoretical tradition of scene studies with recent work on the affective potentialities of the
everyday and the mobile urban spaces they inhabit, this book has appeal to scholars working
across gender, sexuality and culture.

Kerryn Drysdale<https://csrh.arts.unsw.edu.au/about-us/people/kerryn-drysdale/> is a Research Fellow at the Centre for Social Research in Health, located within
UNSW Arts and Social Sciences. Her disciplinary background is in cultural studies, with a particular focus on
LGBTIQ social scenes, identities and practices. Kerryn is also interested in community-led approaches to
harm reduction and urban LGBTIQ night-time economic reform.

https://www.palgrave.com/us/book/9783030157760#aboutBook

Please see the attached flyer for a discount. Similarly, if you would like to review the book, the publisher has an  Online Book Review Copy<https://www.palgrave.com/us/media-centre/book-review-process/online-review-copies> portal.
Many thanks
Kerryn

Kerryn Drysdale
Research Fellow
Centre for Social Research in Health

UNSW SYDNEY NSW 2052 AUSTRALIA
E: k.drysdale at unsw.edu.au<mailto:k.drysdale at unsw.edu.au>
T: +61 2 9385 6412
W: csrh.arts.unsw.edu.au<http://www.sprc.unsw.edu.au/> | unsw.edu.au

CRICOS Provider Code 00098G
[cid:image002.jpg at 01CE7D83.1ACAD010]<http://csrh.arts.unsw.edu.au/>

New book: Drysdale, K. 2019. Intimate Investments in Drag King Cultures: The Rise and Fall of a Lesbian Social Scene<https://www.palgrave.com/us/book/9783030157760>. Palgrave Macmillan

I acknowledge the Aboriginal nations as the first peoples of Australia. I pay my respects to elders past, present and emerging.

Pronouns: she/her