[csaa-forum] Deakin University’s ‘First Fridays’ seminar series 7 September — Anna Hickey-Moody (RMIT)

Ben Hegarty b.hegarty at deakin.edu.au
Fri Aug 10 14:36:01 ACST 2018

Deakin University’s ‘First Fridays’ Gender and Sexuality Studies seminar series continues on 7 September at Deakin Downtown (at 727 Collins St, near Southern Cross Station). The ‘First Fridays’ seminar and HDR masterclass series is free and open to those interested in the work, although bookings are required<https://blogs.deakin.edu.au/gender-and-sexuality-studies-research-network/about-us/seminar-series/>.

The September HDR Masterclass<https://blogs.deakin.edu.au/gender-and-sexuality-studies-research-network/about-us/postgraduate-masterclass-series/> will be presented by Patsie Frawley and Amie O’Shea (Deakin) from 2pm onwards on ‘People with intellectual disability: Sexual Lives & Respectful Relationships (SL&RR)’. Please circulate to all HDR and postgraduate students who research or have research interests in the area of gender and sexuality studies. If you would like to attend but cannot access the readings please let me know.

All are welcome to join us for afternoon tea as part of a monthly GSS/LGBTQ+ Community networking event from 3pm onwards sponsored by Deakin University Equity and Diversity.

The August public seminar, presented by Anna Hickey-Moody (RMIT), commences at 4pm and will be followed by drinks at around 5pm. Further details below.

Masculinity, Disability and Sexual Publics

A seminar by Anna Hickey-Moody

The field of disability studies has engaged with Deleuze and Guattari’s work in a fashion almost unprecedented by other empirically oriented disciplines, perhaps with the exception of education. In this chapter, I survey work on the sociology of disability, and disability studies more broadly, in which Deleuze, and Deleuze and Guattari’s, work has provided scholars with useful resources to think through social and cultural dynamics articulating across disability. The ways disability and masculinity are formulated in relation to each other remains a contentious issue, because the social construction of disability often regulates the kinds of publics called to engage with texts featuring men with disabilities and the kinds of fora in which men with disabilities are welcomed. While I do not go so far as to suggest exactly what a Deleuzoguattarian informed version of disability studies might look like, I show some ways that Deleuze’s thought helps us to better understand the gendered politics of the lives of men with a disability and the social production of the gendered nature of disability as it articulates in relation to sexuality. Before undertaking our own textual analysis of popular cultural texts about masculinity and disability, I examine the gendered nature of hierarchies of disability, paying particular attention to the ways disability can lead to reconfigurations of sexuality. I make some suggestions about how Deleuze and Guattari’s thought facilitates new perspectives on disability, masculinity and sexuality. In so doing, I focus in on a case study of the photographer Michael Stokes’ work on war veterans. I couple this with a consideration of the 2017 Hollywood film Me Before You, which offers a popular representation of the life, death and struggles of a man with a disability, and I finish this case studies with a discussion of the UK ‘reality TV’ show The Undatebles. All three of these texts work from the presumption that being sexually attractive and/or romantically involved has primary significance in affirming social value for men and plays a foundational role in building men’s self-esteem.

About the Speaker

Anna Hickey-Moody is a Professor of Media and Communications and an Australian Research Council Future Fellow 2017-2021. She also holds a Vice-Chancellor Senior Research Fellowship. Anna Hickey-Moody has worked with arts practice as a research method since the late 1990’s. She is known for her methodological expertise with affect theory, qualitative and practice research. Anna has developed a philosophically informed, cultural studies approach to youth arts as a subcultural form of humanities education. Her books include The Politics of Widening Participation and University Access for Young People (Routledge, 2016), Youth, Arts and Education (Routledge, 2013), Unimaginable Bodies (Sense, 2009) and Masculinity Beyond the Metropolis (Palgrave, 2006). Anna has also edited a number of collected works and themed journal editions.

For further information and to register click here<https://blogs.deakin.edu.au/gender-and-sexuality-studies-research-network/about-us/seminar-series/>.

Future Seminars

— 5 October, Gilbert Caluya (Melbourne)
— 2 November, Eben Kirksey (Deakin), with Tamara Pertamina
— 7 December, Aileen Moreton-Robinson (QUT)

Important Notice: The contents of this email are intended solely for the named addressee and are confidential; any unauthorised use, reproduction or storage of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please delete it and any attachments immediately and advise the sender by return email or telephone.

Deakin University does not warrant that this email and any attachments are error or virus free.