[csaa-forum] John Clarke Symposium, University of Sydney, May 25

Holm, Nick N.H.F.Holm at massey.ac.nz
Fri May 4 11:05:09 ACST 2018

There are a few places left to attend a one day colloquim on the work of John Clarke at the University of Sydney, 25 May (please note this is a change in venue from initial advertisements for the event). If you are interested in just sitting in, please e-mail n.h.f.holm at massey.ac.nz<mailto:n.h.f.holm at massey.ac.nz>

COLLOQUIUM ON THE WORK OF JOHN M. CLARKE, 25 MAY 2018
Seminar Room S226, John Woolley Building A20
UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY

9.30 - 11.10
John Clarke: The man, the mask and the problem of acting
Anne Pender, University of New England

"Fred, it's a mess" or the cultural politics of the laconic
Nicholas Holm, Massey University

11.10- 11.40 Morning Tea

11.40-12.30

They can't all be winners: John Clarke and the "shabby suit crime comedy"
Marty Murphy, Australian Film, Television and Radio School and University of Western Sydney

12.30 - 1.30 Lunch

1.30 - 3.10

The bureaucracy of sport: John Clarke and The Games (1998; 2000)
Jessica Milner Davis, University of Sydney

Plus ça change: Three decades of Clarke and Dawe's political satire (1987-2017)
Lucien Leon, Australian National University

3.10-3.40 Afternoon tea

3.40 - 5.20

Is this a Dagg which I see before me? The politics of John Clarke's political humour
Mark Rolfe, University of New South Wales

John Clarke, poet
Robert Phiddian, Flinders University

5.20-6.10 Discussion (led by Moderator TBA)

6.10-- Close